Monday, February 25, 2008

You go to Jupiter, to get more stupider

Taking care of two kids by myself is a pain in the ass. So sometimes I break down and call in the reinforcements. That'd be O.G. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. Still, I can't complain about a woman who brings me pie. Not pie that she's made, are you mad? I don't think I've ever seen the woman bake. She always made ME bake for HER, and still does. I remember being around 10 years old and being very accusatory and saying 'what kind of Grandma doesn't bake??'

So to return the favor of her watching one kid while I bathe the other (really - it's hard), I always try to make her dinner. I was showing O.G. my collection of cookbooks:

O.G.: "Nigella...is she from Niger?"
Jenn
: "WHAT. Uh - NO, crazy."

O.G.: "Cause I had a friend named Utanna from Utah."
Jenn: "Hello, that obviously doesn't apply to everyone."
O.G.: "Yuri's son was born in the Rocky Mountains. GUESS WHAT HIS NAME WAS."
Jenn: "Ugh. I'm gonna go for...ROCKY???"
O.G.: "Yes!!"

Jenn: "Did you have a friend named Jupy from Jupiter too??"
O.G.: "That's ridiculous, I don't know anyone from outer space."
Jenn
: "Yeah, right."

Crazy ass. So I made Nigella's Maple glazed chicken and ribs. I adjusted the recipe a bit and since O.G. - she hates the poultry, so I nixed the chicken.

Lemme tell you, Nigella's recipe is whack, yo. Her timing is all crazy - with all that maple syrup it's obvious that these ribs will burn like a motherf*er. Knowing this, I checked early and I nearly did...burn them. NEARLY. Luckily I like mine a little crispy so they came out perfect, but if I followed her recipe I would have had a stack of burnt bones. Once adjusted, it came out really good and flavorful.
Nigella's original recipe can be found in Nigella Express, but my new and improved recipe can be found HERE. Maybe next I'll make O.G. one of Emeril's recipes. Emeril from Emeryville.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous myra said...

Can O.G. be my grandma too? I could use some laughs around here.

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Marci said...

Oh how I've missed these O.G. posts! Love her! :P

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love O.G. posts too!

Maybe something went wrong in the American conversion of the recipe?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

that woman is bananas. from Banana, Cayenne French Guiana.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Or make a Jamie Oliver recipe. You know...Jamie from Jamestown. I *heart* O.G.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! My DH is looking at me like I'm nutz for bending over belly laughing at O.G. ...I think I actually got a little laugh tear. Thanks I needed that after dealing with an ear infected kid all day.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:56:00 PM  
Anonymous mayieve said...

love the conversation you had :P quite funny!

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:07:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

Love O.G.! Gotta ask though. Raising two kids by yourself? Are you a single mom? Been reading you blog for a couple of months now but didn't catch on to that. You really do it all!

Blame the outright have to know tactlessness to my mother (Japanese). One of the great traits I inherited.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home