Monday, March 24, 2008

Beverly Hills. That's where I want to be.

I have eaten at many great restaurants in my lifetime. This weekend I went to Cut, by Wolfgang Puck in Beverly Hills. I have to say, it was one of the best meals I have ever had.

I'm not a big meat eater. I used to be mostly vegetarian until I got pregnant, then the steak cravings were insatiable and kind of disgusting. Some of that is still with me, years later. Cut is a new steakhouse by Wolfgang Puck, not to be confused with his crap pizzas sold at the airport. No, this is a real restaurant with some amazing food.
The restaurant was designed by Richard Meier, one of my favorite architects, and architect of the Getty. When you sit down for your meal you KNOW you are in a Richard Meier space. You can't escape it, and it is wonderful.

Now for the food. I did not take pictures, actually I am not too fond of taking pictures of my meals out - I try not to anyway. I'm no food blogger, and more importantly, this is Beverly Hills, people. The cars at the valet? Two Bentleys, two Rolls Royces, three limos...and my 1999 Honda. Oh just park it goddamit, you know I'll tip better than those rich bastards anyway.

Before the meal came there were cheese straws and cheese gougeres. Not only that but bread. Onion foccacia, pumpernickel and the most amazing pretzel rolls I have ever had. I get the Rockewagner ones at the SaMo farmer's market and I think those are good, but they don't even compare. I even asked the waitress where they came from and she said they bake them in house, every morning.

Here is the menu. As you can see, prices range from $30 to $160. That's right, $160 for 8 ounces. But it is worth it. They even bring out the cuts and show you a cross section of the meat. It's like I was on an Alton Brown episode. The marbling of the Japanese meat was also butter it was so fat filled. That's where the taste is.

Seeing as how I am not a real meat eater, I passed and instead went for the short ribs that were cooked for 8 hours. Wow they were amazing. They fell apart with a touch of a fork. And though I was worried about the 'spice' of the curry flavor, it was not hot at all, just sweet and subtle.

Side dishes are amazing, but let me move on to dessert. Yes I had dessert, I always like to see the menu at least, even when I am stuffed. Their most popular dessert, was a chocolate cream pie with banana creme brulee and banana ice cream. While this sounded divine, you know banana is my kryptonite, so I opted for the chocolate souffle. I must have had souffle on the brain after that Top Chef episode where they f*ed it up. Ordering the souffle was a mistake. It wasn't that it was bad, in fact it was AMAZING. This souffle was gorgeous and perfect but HUGE. Freakin' huge. Six inches in diameter it was obviously meant for two and I wished someone had told me that.

Just as I was paying the bill, what to my wondering eyes should appear but a small plate of mignardise*. Never one to turn down little candies, I ate them. MAN. This was amazing. I should have skipped dessert completely just to relish these little treats. One was a small yuzu bar, basically a take on the lemon bar (god, how I love lemon) only more tart, using the Japanese citrus, yuzu. Then second was a caramel cashew chew, with fleur de sel on a homemade shortbread. Simply outstanding. As was the service. Granted this was a high end (-ish) restaurant, but the service was above and beyond what I could have expected.

If I was to do it over again, which I might, I would go for a starter and dessert. I realize that defeats the purpose, but I can always grab a bite of very expensive meat off of the plate of someone else in my dining party. Gauche? Perhaps, but I know my limits. If you ever need a recommendation for a celebratory dinner, this is definitely the place. You don't even have to spend a fortune, you'll still get an amazing meal and incredible service. Just park your Bentley behind me.

*mignardise: one or two bite, little sweets. Similar to a petit four.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

I'm going to start taking pictures of YOU while you're eating when we go out to eat. Heh, heh.

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

CUT has been on the list forever. One day...

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

sounds delish. looks very richard meier.

too bad i'm po' with my nappy roots. i'll park my 97 honda behind your newer one if i ever go. whee!

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

Yum. Here's me being gauche: I'd never heard of mignardise...

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What Jami said.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I didn't realize Cut was new. It's one of the fancy places I've actually heard of. I'm with Jami, but actually there are A LOT of words in this post I'll have to look up. Dah! I don't even really know what gauche means. I'm just dumb when it comes to foodie stuff. But, I do love steak.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:33:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

It's just a fancy word for a tiny little bite of sweet at the end. Like a 'thank you' from the chef. They are never sold (I've asked) but sometimes the best part of the meal.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

I'm on my way to airport..I'll be there later today and dinner there is on me

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:46:00 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

I found this blog while searching my favorite show Beverly Hills. Its really a nice job. Watch Beverly Hills Episodes from here with best quality. From here you can also download your favorite tv shows.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:43:00 AM  
Blogger shinya said...

Beverly Hills, 90210 TV Show is one of the best show. Its my favorite one. I like it very much.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anna said...

Okay, now I'm really excited about the Vegas cut. I hope it's as good as L.A.'s.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger leevan said...

I have seen this full sitcom. I like Beverly Hills, 90210 TV Show very much.

Friday, February 25, 2011 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger miguel said...

Full of fun, enjoyable and very interesting show. I like every episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 TV Show

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home