Monday, March 17, 2008

Dream of better lives the kind which never hate, dropped in the state of imaginary grace

On Sunday I bundled up my little hipster children, put them in snarky tees and spiked up their faux-hawks and we set out for Silverlake. Not really, but we did go to Silver Lake. The new rage in L.A. is boutique coffee joints and dammit, if what I hear is true, this is truly a better cup of coffee.

I wasn't disappointed. We went to Intelligentsia and goddam, that was some good joe. I got an Iced Angeleno, and I've got to say, it came perfectly the way I like and full of flavor. There was definitely a long line, but very much worth the wait. This is seriously good stuff.

If I didn't have kids, coffee would be my lunch. But noooo. I got kids, yo!

Fortuitously, right next door is The Cheese Store of Silverlake. Thankfully, it did not have that 'stinky cheese smell' that some of these stores have. It was small, but fully stocked with lots of nice wines and cheeses. I heard they make some of the best paninis in town, great for peeps like me who love some crusty bread.

Wow these were good. I mean, so tasty. Obviously, it's the cheese, from the cheese store. But man, really good stuff. I got a salame panini that was dripping with mozzarella and burrata cheeses with a few green olives stuffed in there for good measure. Unbelievable, but then again, anything with burrata is. The boys shared a turkey panini that had an incredible fruit chutney on it.

We had to buy extra little cornichons of course, since we all love the tiny, and tiny pickles = love. It was a great Sunday lunch, despite beautiful sunlight but insane cold, this weekend. My little hipsters in training will be back, I'm sure.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

*drooling*

I'd like to be buried in that panini. Mmm....

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Can't you adopt me for a day? Just a day?

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm with Hilary, adopt me and my little hipster for a day...I mean he's cool, ok, he does wear glasses, and sometimes he has to wear a patch over one eye...but I promise he's totally dope! :) LOL

I love panini, hmmm, it's only 7:30am here, and I could go for some right now...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm not a hipster and I'm not too sure about that cheesy thing, but I really want to try that coffee. It is SO close to my workplace, that I may just do so this afternoon. : )

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Cheese is my kryptonite.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:38:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

My kids have hip tshirts. Can we come?

I bought some burrata last week and we ate it two nights in a row - one night with La Brea Bakery bread and good prosciutto, and the second night in a pasta with fresh basil and fresh tomatoes. Oh my god it was good.

We managed to eat most of it, but there (really) is only so much burrata you can eat, and the bit that was left had grown a friend when I looked at it yesterday. Ick.

I will have to go to this shop!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home