Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Figure skating? Give it up, Jimmy! It's like a cruel bitch mother!

Here's a BAD idea. Sprain your foot, really bad. Then go to Disneyland and walk around. Then the next morning go to Mommy & Me ice skating. Holy crap. I think I've permanently damaged myself. I was lacing up the skate and thinking. Oh. This. Ouch. Can't. Ugh. Be. Oy. Good. Once on the ice it was fine. Oddly, when I have no shoe at all, it hurts the worst. The last time I skated I was 12 years old so I was surprised at how easy it was to get back up on skates again. Not perfect, but the Kid? Winner. The teacher was impressed that it was his first time on skates.

Meanwhile, I nixed the Baby's lessons asap. He kept going limp when I tried to maneuver him around the ice, which was killer on my back. Turns out he was going limp to get closer to the ice. So he could lick it. Like a goddam giant popsicle. It was disgusting. Do you know how dirty that ice is? My brother reminded me that when little kids can't control their bladder and pee on the ice, they simply...wash it down. Yeesh. Needless to say, the Baby is not skating/licking anymore.

Moving on. The reason I asked "ginger or lemon?" for cookies, was to make the favors for the 60th birthday dinner. I knew I wanted to make small, almost button like cookies for them. Since only a few of you lurkers gave me an opinion, I combined the two and came up with a recipe for ginger lemon buttons. They were just right.

I got these very small, plastic take out containers at Surfas. I often cruise those aisles, picking up things hoping to figure out a purpose for them later. I will definitely be using these again, as they are just the right size, and very well made. The plastic makes them great for food, as well.

Ginger-Lemon Buttons recipe, HERE.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger alexis said...

Those little cookies are adorable! Glad to see you are getting back on your feet... literally!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:49:00 PM  
Anonymous tokiwa said...

OMG, story of baby licking the ice scenario = hilarious!
FWIW, whenever my kid sees the robot on your sidebar, he will not let me click to any other page since he is all about that "Robot, mama! I want Robot!"

Wanting to make a bento replication of that soon -- hope you don't mind?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

Ice skate = not-that-ouchy = not surprising. Your foot liked having all that structure/support offered by the boot.

I am a veteran of ankle injuries, and I remember the same surprise when I got my cast off. I could totally walk in the right shoes. Barefoot, I could barely stand on it.

Hope you heal soon!

By the way, are your days, like 27 hours long? How do you get so much done? Amazing.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:00:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I can't ice skate to save my life...I can roller skate like it's 1972 though...LOL

And I agree with Jami...I don't know how you pack so much into a day... :)

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home