Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm not just pussyfooting around this time, Batman!

My friend came up to visit, even though she lives close, sadly we rarely see each other. She lives behind the Orange Curtain, you see, and here, well that's as good as living in another country. See, The Valley, Orange County? They are close. But if you want to venture that way you might need a passport to get back to L.A.

We talked about how we first met in college, *gulp* 17 years ago. Goddam, time flies. Being a true foodie, I wanted to take her to some nice, but very L.A. places to eat. Cause you definitely don't find that many unique places in O.C. So we headed to Hollywood.

While I am not a fan of seafood, she is. And it makes me happy to take people to places that I know they will love. I had heard a lot about The Hungry Cat, which recently expanded, and it was...fantastic! Even if you don't get the REAL raw seafood stuff, there are some just lovely dishes to be had for a nice supper. I knew that we had other things to do, so I convinced her that we should share dishes.We ordered very refreshing crab salad. The flavors were pretty amazing. Fresh crab, endive, hearts of palm, blood oranges. It was a small starter plate, but I definitely could have eaten more. For the entree we shared the grilled Opah. I have never had opah and I was afraid it might be too...fishy. I know, lame call for a seafood place, but I don't like that overwhelming taste. This had none of that. It was grilled to perfection and didn't even taste like fish (if that's any consolation to seafood haters) It was just moist and perfect. More than that, it sat on a bed of black rice grits which were AMAZING. But I am Southern like that. There was also a mix of English peas, grapefruit, pistachios and some horrible beets, which I spit out because I am 5 years old. God, I hate beets.

I was full at this point, which is surprising since the dishes were smallish, but I'm sure it was the grits just settling in to my tummy. She pressed on and ordered three house oysters. I looked away as, frankly, I was disgusted, but hey, that's why I brought her there. To eat what she loves.

I was very impressed with The Hungry Cat, and I'd likely go back. The crowd wasn't too Hollywood too, which is always a plus.

We paid the bill and we headed onwards...to dessert...
(to be cont'd)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I've been curious about The Hungry Cat for awhile as I seem to walk past it an awful lot. Yes, going to a chain Japanese restaurant. Yes, so NOT foodie of me, I know. I've always been afraid The Cat would be too seafoody, but as long as there are beets--then I'm in. Like Dwight.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Jodi I go to that Kabuki too! Oh wait, shhhh.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:54:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

I want to go to the HUngry Cat but the Boy doesn't eat seafood as it Grosses Him Out. I think we're doing pizza in the Valley avec Jodi...

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I haven't heard of Hungry Cat. I'm a bad LA eater. I love me some seafood, though, so I'll have to check it out!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:44:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Me love some seafood. I guess I should put Hungry Cat on my list of places to go next time I'm up there.

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Caveman said...

I maybe the only one, but the first time I read through this I saw "grilled Oprah".

...I'm still pretty sick.

Monday, March 31, 2008 11:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home