Monday, March 31, 2008

It does a body good.

cont'd from the night before...

Late nights in L.A. can be rough. Things close fairly early-ish, unless you are looking for a diner-y meal or a bar. There are lots of bars. But we wanted dessert. After our lovely Hungry Cat dinner we headed down to the Mid Wilshire-Fairfax District. Why am I always here? No seriously. I am ALWAYS here. I'm sure it's the wonderful museums, great shopping and excellent restaurants. I should just move there!! OH YEAH. I have kids, I need to live in quasi-suburbia. Also I am not a Hasidic Jew. Saturday night on the town in Fairfax? Hasidic Jews post shabbat and two asian chicks craving ice cream.

Luckily, MILK stays open until 11pm. Opened last year by Patina alum Bret Thompson, there has been a lot of buzz about this place, and I've been waiting for said buzz to die down and see for myself. I was not disappointed.

The joint is shockingly small and the menu is amazing. I'd love to go back for a meal but this is not why we've arrived. No, it's for the shakes, malts, 25 cent bon bons, homemade pudding, lemon bars, chocolate croissant bread pudding, the list goes on and on. It was crowded, for sure, at 9:30 on a Friday, but I've heard daytime is worse. Plus the parking can kiss my ass, god I hate parking in Fairfax. I ended up having to valet the damn car and then walk a block. Not happy.We got a variety of things, dessert whores that we are, and all were pretty great. While I am not a fan of shakes (melty ice cream+jenn = blech) my friend assured me that the malt was excellent. She also ordered a tres leches to take home - too sweet for my blood, but she liked it. Then again she eats condensed milk straight up. No, I had one thing on my mind and nothing more. The ice cream sandwich.
This is no ordinary ice cream sandwich, you see. Instead of cookies, the homemade creamy ice cream is flanked by...macarons. Oh. Dear. God. They are my weakness. I bow to them and throw money at any bakery who has them just for a tiny bite. Macarons are particular. Airy. Tempermental. Perfection. So the idea of putting them with ice cream and freezing them? I was suspect. But one bite and that went away. It was an amazing combination and I decided right then and there that I must live off a diet which consisted of nothing but macaron ice cream sandwiches.

After consuming all that sugar, we were full and had to call it a night. My friend still had to haul her ass back to the O.C., and I needed to get my sleep on before the kids did their usual 3:15am "I need water. I need to pee. Sleep with me Mommy." routine. It was a good night, with a good friend, and I will have macaron ice cream sandwiches in my dreams.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

I just recently heard about this place. But she said it was a "milk bar" telling me that you order milk like you order hard liquor.

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I drive by this place all the time and while somewhat curious, I'm so turned off by the name. I like milkshakes though.

P.S. 9:30 is so NOT late night!

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yum! I've heard of this place too, but I usually don't make my way to anything trendy for years. I'm lame like that.

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

You left out the main reason you hang out in the Fairfax District: to stalk us.

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Marci said...

YUM! Those ice cream sandwiches look so good!

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Macaron ice cream sandwiches? Man, you live a good life!

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:18:00 PM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Oh my god, your food posts make me want to forget my dislike of SoCal! (No real reason, other than I'm from the Bay, and thus have an unwarranted sense of superiority, especially with respect to other parts of California.)

Monday, March 31, 2008 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home