Thursday, March 27, 2008

Let them eat cake.

Right here? This is the best custom cake, ever made.

While I bake a lot, I love to go to bakeries as well. Especially if they are ranked in the top ten of all of Los Angeles.
I had heard a lot about Susina Bakery and when I walked in I wasn't disappointed. It felt like a small Parisian cafe, and the cases were piled high with gorgeous treats. I had heard that the Berry Blossom cake was the best and it was also highly recommended by the counter person. This cake was simply, amazing. The berries were perfect, not mushy. The cake moist, and firmly held together despite it's thinness. The white chocolate filling and whipped cream frosting were not overly sweet, as I feared it might be. Everything about this cake was perfect. And I'm not just biased since they put crushed meringue on the sides of the cake. Good lord, that right there is perfection.
Everyone has a difference of opinion though, as to what makes the best bakery. I've heard many people who hate Sprinkles cupcakes (hello, Hilary!), though it's been a while since I've had one, I don't mind it.

Do you have a bakery you love? Or why do you hate what you hate? (Perhaps there are other Sprinkles haters out there, who knows.) Maybe, I the only crazy person who will drive out to the far reaches of the city for some delicious pastries? This is information that will be used in a scientific experiment later, so answers in the comments are greatly appreciated.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

susina's bear cake and berry blossom cake are among my faves, and i'm not normally even a cake person.

love bluebird bakery's cupcakes the best. too bad the bastards are only open for lunch on weekdays now. vanilla bake shop's ice box treats and macarons. boule. jin patisserie's beautiful desserts and chocolate. crumbs now wins over sprinkles for me, although i can only eat 1/4 of a cupcake at a time. i didn't really eat or seek out this stuff for the past 40ish days, so i'm a bit rusty.

i will definitely drive out of my way for yummy baked goods.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I can't believe you hadn't been to Susina before! Everything there is good, especially the cookies!

I think Crumbs is worse than Sprinkles, if that's even possible. Plus, their cupcakes are bigger than my head which would be a good thing if they weren't so damn dry. I really like Buttercake Bakery on Pico not far from The Apple Pan (sorry, I don't really know the streets in WLA). And Leda's Bake Shop in (gasp) the Valley.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Susina is my overall favorite bakery. That's where we got our wedding cake, which our guests STILL talk about.

I'm also a big fan of Bluebird Bakery/Cafe's cupcakes. Those are probably my favorite LA cupcakes.

[whispering] I like Crumbs. Sprinkles is ok, but overrated in my opinion. ;-)

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

One of the good things about being with someone is being able to buy that person the Berry Blossom cake from Susina. It is so good.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I haven't heard of most of those places. But, Ralph's makes some damn fine cupcakes. Even better than Vons, although E disagrees. Sorry, my redneck past is showing through. Oh well.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I can only go by cupcakes: I like Sprinkles, but I do not like Crumbs. SusieCakes was really good. I only had the cupcakes, but I heard the cookies are where it's at. I would love to find a bakery with a good cinammon roll/twist/sticky bun...

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

oh, i forgot to mention that i will drive out to the valley for leda's. and i avoid driving to valley at any and all costs.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

I think Sprinkles is WAY overrated. I have no doubt your cupcakes are much better. :)

I've ordered several cakes from Cafe Unforgettable Cakes on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks and they are DEE-licious. Cakes are VERY moist and the frostings are light; not too heavy. They will make any cake you want (for a fee, of course), but I ordered a "pizza" cake and a cake that looked like a stack of LPs and they were awesome! The employees are SUPER nice too.

I also love Portos Bakery in Burbank also. I guess the Valley has some nice offerings after all, huh? :)

Now I must seek out this berry blossom cake you speak of!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I seriously need to go to the bakery more often (like once!). That cake looks freaking delicious.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

Will bought me that cake for my birthday. Freakin' divine.

I haven't have a Sprinkles or a Crumbs or a Girly Delite or any cupcake bakery within walking distance, so I've never had one. But I have an issue with cupcakes: they SEEM like they're supposed to be eaten with your hands, but they're too effing big. What's the point of a cupcake with a fork?

Anyway, I gave up refined sugar for the next eight weeks, so it's a moot point. I know, no fun.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

That was a good cake. Best of all i didn't have to eat it alone.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger bubbie said...

I, for one, am not against driving long distances for some good baked goods. That cake looks heavenly!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

What. The only baked things I eat are the ones JustJenn sends me as a treat every few months. Favorite bakery? Pshaw...I'm far too fat to be frequenting bakeries; I cannot imagine the results. My ass is growing just thinking about it.

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home