Thursday, March 06, 2008

The life of a Westside playa where cowards die

There are a lot of great places to go in Los Angeles, some of them, not where you'd expect. I like to to go the intersection of Washington and Centinela. Why? A lot of my favorite, favorite things are there.

First up, Gloria's Cake and Candy Supplies. This place is the bomb diggity. It was in a tiny little shack for many years and now they've moved to a bigger location. You will be amazed at what you can find here as far as baking supplies go. It doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a professional, this place will take care of all of your needs.

Then if you meander across the street you'll find Dreamworld comics. While I normally buy my comics elswhere (they don't have the widest selection), the Batcave in the back is a riot and my kids think it's Batman's house. They also currently have a large scale Simpons window display which amuses the Kid to no end.
A few doors down is Hotcakes Bakes bakery. It's weird, I pass this place ALL THE TIME, and I never stop. The simple logo and pink and brown colors is an immediate draw for me, add cake to that mix and you'd think I'd be salivating at the door. So I finally went the other day, and I gotta say, I was disappointed with these cupcakes. Dry cake, overly sweet frosting. I want a cupcake I pay for to be better than one I can make at home. I heard their Parisian pastries are good, so I may go back and give 'em a second chance.
Directly behind Hotcakes is my most favorite hardware store in all of Los Angeles (and trust me, I go to a lot of hardware stores) - B & B Hardware. In college, when we needed wood and supplies for labor intensive architectural models, this was the place. Now as a homeowner I find it stocks everything I could ever need and want. More importantly, the staff knows EVERYTHING. Not like that look of DUH that I always seem to get when I go to Home Depot. God, how I loathe Home Depot.

Finally, make your way up the street just a bit and there it is in all of it's glory, Outdoor Grill. Mmm. BBQ chicken, tri tip sandwiches grilled right out there on the street on an open flame. AND you can get your car washed next door if you want. The food here always hits the spot. The sauce is really good here, I like to pour it right on my potato salad, but I am weird like that.
As an extra bonus, if you turn around and drive back towards the freeway on Washington, you'll hit Tito's Tacos on the way home. Can't you just hear the salsa calling your name?

While these aren't tourist-y sites, they are great places to go to especially if you live in Los Angeles and are trying to kill time with two kids on a boring weekend. Not...that I'd know anything about...that.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

<3 b&b <3
mmm...tito's. that bbq looks pretty tasty, too.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger APlanet4Creation said...

I hate Home Depot too! Luckily we have a Lowe's now. Ace Hardware is good but they don't have a lot of items. We have a Sutherlands and they are useless. You could wander for an hour and NO one will talk to you.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:09:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

C! I thought I've visited all the comic book shops in L.A. I guess this is another reason I should go up again.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger The Flying Enchilada said...

How could you not include Paco's Tacos!! Mmmmm, yummy.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

1. You're also near the famous raspados place... mmm!!

2. And the caneles at Hotcakes are good!

Friday, March 07, 2008 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

i want to marry that bbq food

Friday, March 07, 2008 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I'm a westside native...been to all those places except the BBQ spot! How did I miss it!

Have you tried the cheese enchiladas at Tito's? They are faboo! I often go over there with a baking dish and have it filled with enchiladas when I'm having people over for dinner!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Hector said...

This can't succeed as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I believe.
white vinegar | rubber feet | thin wallet

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home