Friday, March 07, 2008

This is for my peeps

When Target put Easter stuff out on February 15th, I laughed and thought, 'you won't trap me into buying holiday stuff two months early, dicks.' Turns out I am the dumb one because Easter is indeed, one month earlier this year. UGH. Can't we just keep holidays on the same day like Christmas and New Years?? I reluctantly started looking down the aisles since I have to put together something for the kid's school of course. I saw the endcap of the familiar - traditional, Easter Peeps.

Ah, the Peep, they try and f*with us by making Halloween ones and Christmas ones, but we all know the only good ones are the Easter chickies. I don't even eat them much anymore. As a kid I loved the gooey marshmallow and over the top sugar. Now being in my thirties and faced with a $1000 bill for a crown from the dentist, I am more wary.

But that didn't stop me from buying a pack. I knew my kids would be thrilled and I even took it one step further...Yep. Peep on a cupcake. I was planning on making lemon cupcakes with marshmallow frosting...but I took one look at that sugary Peep and knew that'd be over the top. You don't want to kill the taste of sugar with sugar. So I made a regular vanilla cupcake, and dyed some buttercream yellow. A perfect blend of Peep-tastic sugary delight.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

Yeah, really. What. Is. The. Deal. I thought Easter was in April??

I think I hear the Peeps are calling out to my mouth to eat them.

Friday, March 07, 2008 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

Best.Cupcakes.Ever. Awesome. I love them! And the bunnies, too! Peep!

Friday, March 07, 2008 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger mommy2boys said...

OMG!!!! I am already late...........I have a birthday, St Patricks and Easter (man I don't have enough $$) to send treats for all..............Thanks for the reminder '

Friday, March 07, 2008 6:03:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

That's too funny, I was just at the store and bought some GREEN peeps...

Friday, March 07, 2008 6:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you took a knife to those peeps instead of pulling them apart, cheater.

Friday, March 07, 2008 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Thanks for the sneak peek of this last night! I'd be tempted to eat just the Peep! They are AWESOME! Best a little stale, but also tasty toasted over an open flame!

Psst...all Peeps taste THE SAME! I should know.

Friday, March 07, 2008 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Wrong, anonymous. I pulled them apart carefully, although I don't see what the big deal is.

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.
Slicing them with a nice would have been easier, you know.
Duh.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

knife.
Goddamnit!!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in New Zealand they started putting out Easter Eggs on January the third. To make it worse January/February are the hottest months of the year... Oh well frozen marshmallow eggs are the best! Chuck 'em in the freezer so they get all chewy - they are the best. Kielz :)

Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

very cute! very yellow!
can you share your marshmallow frosting recipe?

Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:47:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, I agree with Joyce. What is marshmallow frosting?? That sounds like the best. thing. ever.

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I'm so stealing this idea for Alison's cake. . . I was just baking the cake now. . . and I happen to have some peeps! =DDDDD

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Those are super cute! I may steal this idea for my peep-obsessed husband!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home