Friday, April 04, 2008

Fast food nation

My kids don't eat fast food. It's only because *I* don't eat fast food. It grosses me out. Plus, as Anthony Bourdain once pointed out, fast food doesn't have to consist of pre-packaged patties and a drive through, there are plenty of places in L.A. where I can get 'fast food' consisting of a bowl of noodles, a homemade taco, or some kabobs, all of which are made just as fast and are way healthier.

Not only that, when you get pregnant you realize that everything you eat in turn affects the baby's spine, eyes, brain, therefore why wouldn't you want them to eat things that are healthy...forever? Not just them but you too?

That being said I do take the kids to have fast food once in a great while. (Like every six months. Or if they have a baby sitter and I'm not around. Sneaky bastards.) The last time we went the Kid said, "Wow, I am a lucky boy to get fast food." Damn that made me sad, til I realized they mostly just like the toy and can care less about the food. When they do get a happy meal they get the apples instead of the fries (their choice) and milk (again, their choice, my kids don't drink soda). So really the only thing 'bad' thing, per se, is the deep fried chicken nuggets. I realize this is totally calling the kettle black as I am the queen of loving fried foods.
When it comes down to it the boys really just like dipping things. (See: The Baby dipping his apples in ketchup. >ew<) So while continuing to cleaning out my pantry, I got the rest of the boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer, the last of the breadcrumbs, and my very last egg before having to go to the market.

I made the boys homemade chicken fingers, baked in the oven. I also baked some awesome organic fries from Whole Foods, (I could devote a whole post to how tasty those things are) and sliced up a few apples. And while there was no toy, there were apples dipped in ketchup.

Go here for the Oven Baked Chicken Fingers recipe.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I applaud you for not letting your kids drink soda. I kills me when I see my 4 year old cousin drinking a coke with dinner. Ugh.
I however, have a BAD diet coke addiction but I'm currently in recovery.

Friday, April 04, 2008 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

Mmm... my kids love homemade chicken fingers and fish sticks. I make 'em in the toaster oven because cooking 4 strips of chicken in the oven kills me.

They do like McDonald's, too - especially the big one - but I think she likes the novelty more than the food itself. I am a mean mommy and never buy happy meals because I can't stand having more cheap, little toys in the house.

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home