Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandpa: As you wish.

94 degrees in L.A. today. Insanity. Even before the kids were born I have always wanted to go to the L.A. Times Festival of Books. And every year it's a scorching nightmare. It's like they know the one weekend when heatstroke is a definite. So I've never been, but this year, we braved it. Thanks to my excellent gps brain, I avoided all the traffic going in and got extremely close parking. A must for anyone with kids.

The festival is so huge, I looked longingly at the Culinary Stage and food writing area, but alas it was ALL THE WAY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE of the kids areas. Being a parent means sacrifice. So along with the other thousands of people, I sat and watched the Doodlebops and Johnny and the Sprites. Gotta say, those are the two kids shows I can't stand, but hey...sacrifice.
The reason why I was happy to stay in the children's area? Mo Willems. The kids and I love his books. He read his new book "The Pigeon Wants a Puppy." He's a fantastic author and treat to see on stage. In the middle of the day, the soaring temps were getting to my kids and I'm pretty sure we they were close to heatstroke. Luckily some ice cold watery lemonade saved the day. The kids ate some fairly expensive tacos - scratch that, I took out all the chicken for them and I ate the tortilla with lettuce. Did I say sacrifice? The local news came by and asked to film the kids. That happens everytime we go out, someone asks to film the kids or take pictures of them. I supposed I should be flattered, but you know me and the extreme paranoia. Weird. All in all it was a great time. The kids enjoyed themselves but were kind of sick of me forcing them to stay hydrated. While I didn't get my hands on any cookbooks, I did get to go to the comics area, which really - they need to work on, as there were only two actual comic publishers there.

My motherinlaw always complains that we are never home on the weekends to answer her phone calls, and 'why do you have to take the kids out of the house?' Hello, crazy. Anyway, I don't know why I'd want to stay indoors when this city has so much to offer. I mean, she lives in Hawaii, why would she want to stay indoors there, either? You can always find something great to do, no matter where you live. In L.A., the summer festivals are starting. This is just the beginning. Going out on the weekends means I'll be missing phone calls? That's a sacrifice I'm fine with.

More pictures, here.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I've wanted to go to the book festival every year, but I just haven't made it. Hopefully some year!

P.S. It's funny that you haven't given your cell phone number to your mother-in-law!

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

so you missed the chronicle books booth?.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Jodi, no, she has the cell phone.

Joyce, I KNOW. Very upset since there were TONS of things I wanted to buy, as you well know.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:04:00 PM  
Anonymous cc said...

1. I love the Princess Bride.
2. I actually enjoy those two shows. They are much better than Barney and Sponge Bob.
3. Hoy weather bites.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad you had fun. Yes, it was too damn hot!

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger mrsmogul said...

The Doodle Bops scare me!

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I've forbidden the Doodlebops in our house... and I agree, Johnny and the Sprites is a tad creepy. But since John Tartaglia was the lead in "Avenue Q," I've given him the benefit of the doubt. And I gotta say, didn't mind the live show he put on at the Festival. I am bummed I missed Choo Choo Soul, as there's something trashy about that Fergie-wannabe, so I love that Playhouse Disney actually shows it.

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

Oh, man...we were at the Festival of Books on Sunday and we were Dripping With Sweat, it was Ridiculous.

And I agree with you about the Comics Section -- needs some work. (Like, say...Comic Book Publishers?)

xoxo,
TDR

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home