Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Father of mine. Tell me where have you been.

I have been wanting to go to Father's Office for some time now, especially since many consider their burger the best in Los Angeles. They recently opened a new, 'bigger and better' location at the Helms Bakery in Culver City. I have to say, I was unprepared.

One. The velvet rope. I do not stand in line for food. Unless I am at Pink's or if I am in New York. In New York I will wait for food in a rainstorm, the eating there is just not to be missed. But here? I can hop in my car and get something just as good if not better, down the street. But I was commited, see. I had to taste this burger and see what the hype was about. Therefore I had to stand outside. Behind a rope. In a line of 20 people. For 30 minutes. Kill me. Then show the 'doorman' my i.d., as no one under 21 is allowed in.

Two. It's a bar. With a giant wall of a massive array of bars on tap. Great. But I don't drink. That's fine. I was here for the food. However, seeing as it is a bar, there is only open seating. Hello nightmare. You just stand around waiting and waiting for people to get up, and if they are drinking, well, let's just say they aren't getting up anytime soon.

Finally, finally - yet another 35 minutes later I get a table. A good one too. And I wait for my pre-ordered food to arrive. The verdict? AMAZING. The burger consists of "dry-aged sirloin topped with applewood-smoked bacon compote, Maytag bleu and gruyere cheeses, caramelized onions, and arugula on a French roll". I don't even like bleu cheese but I couldn't taste it. All I tasted was an amazing blend of ingredients that was absolutely perfect.

Now here's the thing. I am not a real fan of sweet potato fries, but man. I have never tasted anything so good in my life. It's the way they fried them, to perfection. Then they sprinkle them with garlic and parsley, and the sauce that they serve with it - wow. To die for. Not to mention it is served in a mini shopping cart, which of course wins my heart immediately. And everyone else's apparently, as I even found a youtube video dedicated to the fries themselves! (not me in the video, hello.) Now that's adoration.



Despite all the waiting, and waiting, and more waiting. Wow, it was worth it. And I'd do it all over again. I think I will take up drinking just so I can kill time to get my hands on that burger and those perfect fries. Delicious.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Mmm, a shopping cart of fries. Can we go there on Sunday? :)

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

yes, start drinking. the beer selection is excellent.

um, only been to the montana location. burger is indeed good. i love bleu cheese and can't really taste it in there, either. not too keen on the velvet rope thing. at helms bakery of all places. ah well, i love bleu cheese, sweet potato fries, and beer, so i guess i should perhaps one day try this location.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I have a mini-shopping cart just like that! it sits on the kitchen table and holds the salt/pepper/nakpins for me.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Bully said...

This looks amazing. Should I try to get there while I'm in LA this weekend? How far is it from Little Tokyo?

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I peeked in at the one in Santa Monica once, but the burger description was not appealing at all and yeah, the bar aspect was kind of a turn off too. Glad you enjoyed it. I do love me some good sweet potato fries.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home