Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The secret ingredient is...

My MIL has been here less than 24 hours and already I have a headache. Today she was in my pantry. Three questions later, I wanted to stab myself.

MIL: "What is this...stuff?"
Me: "It's matzo."
MIL: "Do you eat it?"
Me: "...Yes. The kids love it, I bought it during Passover."
This one I can understand since she's never even met a Jewish person given where she lives, so her not knowing what it is - I get that. But the other things...
MIL: "What's...this?"
Me: "sigh. TORTILLAS. You've eaten tacos before! It's the outside!"
MIL: "Do you have to cook it?"
Now I am annoyed. I try to move away to my room slowly but...

MIL: "And what is this thing called?"
Me: "Are you kidding me? It's a CROISSANT!!!!"
MIL: "It's delicious..."
Me: "I KNOW, DAMMIT."

Anyone who has a television or reads the paper knows what this stuff is. The matzo I understand, but the other two? Good lord. It's like an alien landed in my house. It's like ALF up in here.

I finally sorta got my computer working so at least I can post recipes. Here is the wonderful French Breakfast Muffin recipe from the Ratatouille cookbook. I changed it a little, but trust me it's fantastic. You must buy this book! I even made a batch tonight - as you know I bake when I am stressed - which is why this blog has nothin' but recipes. If my MIL asks me what a muffin is...that's it. Hiding in my room for life.
French Breakfast Muffin recipe.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger the slackmistress said...

I think you shouldn't let her eat until she can identify foodstuffs.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

I agree with Nina.

Also, the matzo should be in the trash by now. No one in their right mind eats matzo once Passover is done. Ick!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger ren said...

hey, hey, i love matzo, any time of the year. it's good for lunch!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger MaybeSomeday said...

I ordered the Ratatouille cookbook from amazon.com last week. You should tell Disney you deserve a cut of their profits!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:35:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Now that I know it's on Amazon, I am buying that book! You keep tortillas in the pantry? huh... I never even thought of not putting them in the fridge. Good idea.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Sarah, I do keep my tortillas in the fridge, we were looking in both the pantry AND the fridge. Ha! Confusion! You can keep them in the pantry really, I'm just a hypochondriac when it comes to spoiled foods!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

i applaud the patience you have. My gma does the same thing to me. After the second question, I would've torn out my hair.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Yowza. I can understand being sheltered from certain foods, as I was as a kid, but she's an adult and been to the "big city" now how many times? Does she not watch TV? Certainly you can learn things there, right?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

Shall I send her some Pretzel Turtles?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Since you posted the recipe for those French muffins, I had to make them last night. They were a HUGE hit. I couldnt believe how delicious they are! Thanks, and I cant wait to get that cookbook!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home