Thursday, May 29, 2008

She only speaks French, Roy. She doesn't speak imbecile.

I am featured today (yet another contest) on the world's most popular cupcake blog, Cupcakes Take the Cake. The fabulous Rachel is pimpin' my goods. Enter now to win!!

I see CB once every three months or so. Because she lives in a foreign country (Orange County) our outings are rare, and I always intend to show her the best of the city. I took her to a few kitchen supply stores, bought some not so great cupcakes, but more importantly, I wanted to take her out to a nice French meal.

She's big on French food, experimenting with some of the best ingredients and hardest recipes, for fun! She has done some amazing things. So I thought a nice French brunch would be just the thing.
I have always wanted to go to the Little Door, which wasn't open, so we settled for The Little Door Next Door, and my - was it spectacular. While it was a rainy soCal day, the covered patio was very nice as far as comfort, and very Parisian. CB being...herself - took full advantage and ordered two entrees, a truffle and brie omelet and smoked salmon eggs benedict, paired with a nice white wine. Neither of which suited me of course. I am not all that adventurous, but I am a GREAT and encouraging meal companion, thanks. I'll take you to all the greatest places, but I probably will bore you to death with my order. A potato onion omelet did me just fine. It came with a side of greens and the most amazing potato galette I have ever tasted. God, I could have just eaten that.
Inside was an array of pastries, but we had places to go and people to see. That did not stop me from buying a chocolate croissant to go - I AM a chocolate croissant connoisseur you know, I need to buy one each and every time I see one. We also each tried a macaron. These were small, and splendid, some of the best I've ever had. And I've eaten my share. In fact we bought some later on in the day from Hotcakes that were...quite horrible. This is the second strike with this bakery. I won't be going back. This is a pic of CB eating the horrible one, showing off her rock:All in all it was a great day - and typical of our outings, we ate our fill. We need another three months to recover, lose some weight, then we can go out again.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jami said...

Love LDND... had some kind of tart with goat cheese and pistachio... my god was it rich and good...

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

You could bring me along if you need someone even MORE boring with food. It'd make you look quite adventurous and daring!

Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home