Friday, May 30, 2008

So long farewell, auf weidersehen good-bye

Man, it seems like it took forever to get through this week, and it was a short one! Wasn't it? Or not. My mind is cloudy. I have been staying up WELL past my regular bedtime of 10:30pm to get a whole bunch of things done and I'm not happy about it. My body is about to go on strike.

My MIL is leaving, don't worry folks, she'll be back in July, and if you know anything about travel - as an asian person, you must bring omiyage. Which is basically just a little gift to bring back to ALL your friends back home. For my MIL, it's a stressful nightmare. I say just buy a bunch of crap you can only buy in Los Angeles and call it day. If your friends don't like it they can suck it, because they are lucky to get anything anyway. We have this same conversation everytime she comes. And she still stresses.
So this time she bought some H&D jam, and some crackers/cookies from Trader Joe's. It looked boring like she just went to the grocery store (which she did) so I packaged it all up and put some little gift tags on them that I was in the middle of designing anyway. A little over the top for omiyage? Probably - but it looks better than it did.

For her 'going away dinner' (yes, she'll be back in 5 weeks) we had a big 'ol BBQ feast. We are Southern like that. BBQ ribs, tri tip, cornbread, garlic mashed potatoes, beans, O.G.'s famous corn, and my pulled pork sandwiches.
For dessert I made strawberry shortcakes, which were just my strawberry cupcakes, cut in two, with berries and whipped cream piled high, and little ice cream balls on the side. When she comes back in July, we can do this whole omiyage/going away dinner all over again. Just like we did two months ago...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Annika said...

Dear Universe:

What the heck is up with Mothers-in-Law? Also, please send me some strawberries.

Love,
Annika

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I like my ice cream ball shaped. Ice cream & balls. Two of my favorite things.

That came out wrong but, oh well.

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:41:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

You gussied up omiyage? Awesome!

I can barely manage stuffing presents in gift bags at Christmas.

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

Oh hey...that's a great idea! The cupcakes cut in half instead of a little shortcake. Jenn, I'm afraid you're a genius. I will definitely be trying that out.

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

O.G.s corn is yummy!

Saturday, May 31, 2008 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That all sounds amazing. What is O.G.'s corn?

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home