Monday, June 23, 2008

Beautiful, bemuse-ed, bellicose butcher.

I was watching the GOD AWFUL Next Food Network Star the other day (that Indian chick should have been gone a long ass time ago. Period.) and I saw the Neely's at the tasting table. I like their show, cause I love Southern cooking. Is it just me, or does the wife seem REALLY enthusiastic? Almost...Rachael Ray I want to stab myself in the eye with a spatula enthusiastic, but not. It kinda scares me, but I'm willing to let it go. Still, I wouldn't mind cooking all day with the Neelys, the food looks fab.

So I was in the market in the meat aisle, steaks were $30. Uh. No thanks. Then I saw tri tip. I love tri tip, but if you overcook it, you are so screwed. At $13 for 6 steaks, I gave it a shot. I grilled the steaks and got very lucky - since I hate the meat thermometer thing - I am more of a meat by instinct kinda cook - the tri tip came out PERFECTLY. Not overcooked, not over done. It's all about the 'resting,' baby.
I mixed up a marinade that I thought would 'sink in' well. I think I got it right on the first shot, luckily I wrote it down, because sometimes I make stuff and can't remember how I got to the final product. I want to try it out on chicken or pork chops - if it wasn't so damn hot outside, I would.

The Baby (aka: healthy carnivore) ate two servings and wanted three. The Kid (aka: sickly fruitiarian) even ate it as well! Note the secret ingredient - root beer, per the usual.

Marinated Tri Tip recipe

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

indian midwestern chick has got. to. go. neelys' food always looks delish, and the mrs. isn't quite as perky/annoying as that tiny blonde on next food network star.

have you tried the poke the steak and your hand thing for testing doneness? http://www.lifespy.com/2007/how-to-check-steak-doneness/

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home