Monday, June 02, 2008

Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away,
on my way to where the air is sweet

When I was pregnant there were "Mommy and Me" movies. Theatres would open early for moms and kids - babies even, to see movies with the lights partially on and the sound down a bit. So that moms could watch the new releases and be there with their kids. Any human in their right mind found the concept annoying, except for stay at home moms who wanted to get out of the house. I looked forward to it.

Now my kids are grown a little and can actually sit and watch a 'real' movie. Enter, the Bridge - Cinema de Lux. The Bridge is a pretty awesome theater - second only to my favorite Arclight in Hollywood. There is premium seating, director's halls, and at night, a bar.
But on the weekend, there is no bar. There are barely even people. The Bridge hosts Saturday morning movies for kids at just $3.50 a pop. Not bad. I took the kids to see "Elmo and the dinosaurs." It was a big deal. There was popcorn and lemonade and everything. The Baby was riveted. He ADORES Elmo (remember the Elmo/Wolverine birthday party - right.) He loved everything about the theater, the movie and especially the food. The Kid? Eh. He was far too advanced for it, but he stayed for the popcorn. So there we were. Watching Elmo. On the big screen. For an hour. (It was an hour too long if you ask me.)

Here's the thing. I don't like Elmo. I know, everyone does, but me. I'm a hater. A hater who is old skool. I liked 'DA Street' when it was Elmo-less. When Big Bird was pegged as a delusional freak with mental illness who saw images of a supposed 'Snuffleupagus.' I'm sure he saw Jesus in the potato chips he bought at Mr. Hooper's store too. Silly bird. Lay off the pipe. But no, it's a new day, and Snuffleupagus is in fact real, and Elmo is the star. Phooey. I'd rather watch The Electric Company.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

I don't like Elmo. I keep pushing Grover on my nephew.

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Annika said...

Super Grover!

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Yeah! When did Snuffleupagus become real??! Did Sesame Street give into peer pressure to reveal him?

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Wait...Snuffleupagus is real? Huh? What?

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kielz said...

Do you think Morgan Freeman looks back at this with fond memories? I hope so! I loved this as a kid!

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Snuffy!! Since when is he real? Unacceptable. I liked Grover too. He was my favorite.

Elmo's lame. In college, I used to catch my now husband watching Elmo's World all the time and he used to scream "Mr. Noodle" in a perfect Elmo voice.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last time I saw EC was when I got a free Noggin preview. and it's held up well. that and Rocky & Bullwinkle seem to be the only two things I watched as a kid that I don't see now and wonder what kind of crack I was smoking. like HR Puffinstuff - what crap that was.

-kat

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Elmo's been on The Street since '84. It was only in the last 10 years or so that he got extremely popular and therefore annoying to many of you. I was a fan back at the beginning, thanks to having much younger siblings. So I liked Elmo around the same time I was hot for Duran Duran. Weird, I know.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I wish theaters here would do something like that. I'd be able to take my sister to the movie theater without having to pay about $20 for tickets. (no joke, it's about $10 a piece general admin) It doesn't help that my sister is a mutant and is far too tall for her age so that even when I do ask for a child admission (oh, just a dollar cheaper. bah!) I get this quizzical look of, "Yeah right."

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

You know they're going to make new Electric Company episodes, right? D'you think Morgan Freeman will guest star?

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:34:00 PM  
Blogger zeghsy said...

grover is a family friend. i told kids in first grade that that was my dad's job and i didn't get to see him enough because he was in new york filming all the time. they BELIEVED ME! my maiden name is grover. i walked away that afternoon a freakin' QUEEN!!! viva super grover!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

1) I agree with you on the Elmo thing.
2) There's a Bridge here in Philly. I've been there once I think.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 5:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home