Thursday, June 12, 2008

Utensils down, hands up.

Top Chef had a great finale last night, my only gripe is the way they screwed with our minds making us think that horrible Lisa would win. Horrible Lisa who said this last week about bloggers: "I don't want to know what people who can't even afford to eat in my restaurant, let alone know how to cook, have to say about me." Screw you Lisa. I'm sure your workplace is proud of the PR you're doing for them.

This is not a cooking blog, or a foodie blog, I don't know what it is except a disposal for what's in my brain at the time. Still, I get TONS of questions via email. Lately a bunch of them have been landing in my spam folder because Yahoo Mail is lame. Apparently Yahoo Mail thinks I am too stupid to decipher between a cooking question and whether or not I want my penis enlarged. Maybe I want both Yahoo Mail, did you ever think of that? Anyway, here are some recent questions I've received, luckily none have to do with penis enlargement:

"How do I get chi chi dango (mochi) to be REALLY fruity flavored?"
Fruit syrup gives mochi tons o flavor. Surfas has some - course that's here in Los Angeles. I'm sure that if you go to candy supply or a kitchen supply store, you should be good to go.

"Where did you get those cool cupcake liners?"
Again, locally - Surfas now carries them, but I can always get them online at www.fancyflours.com - and just your luck free shipping, today and tomorrow only! Whee! Buy it all up! (code: shippingfree)

"Do you have a good, standard, white cake recipe?"
I get asked this a lot - my recipe is standard, and I even went and looked around to see if there was a better one, but turns out mine is pretty much like everyone else's but if you still want it - you got it. It's pretty standard, but great if you ever want to do substitutions. I recently made green tea cupcakes with it as a base, but I have yet to blog about it. I've got a lot of recipes I don't have time to blog, I guess I better get on it. In any case, here's the white cake recipe.

Regarding the 'cookies 'n' cream cupcakes:
"What size electric mixer do you have? I did the weird butter/milk mixture and it sprayed all over my counter. The butter didn’t blend into the milk at all, rather it stuck to the paddle–what on earth did I do wrong?"
I have a standard (small, if you ask me) size Kitchenaid. You didn't do anything wrong. That recipe is jacked up, its backasswardsness is crazy. However, I just turned the mixer on low and stopped it every few seconds (annoying) and scraped down the bowl. Continually. It was a pain, but in the end the payoff is the most wonderful fluffy cupcakes ever.

If you have questions, I'd be happy to give 'em a go. Comment below or email me if you are afraid of public speaking. Like I said, I'm no expert, but when The Baking Mafia get together, we ask each other lots of questions too. It's nice to have a sounding board sometimes.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger the slackmistress said...

We only have questions about robots and hobos, which is probably why you avoid us like the plague!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

I was very happy that Lisa did not win. That said, her soup looked good, and she seemed relatively well-behaved and calm last night. She even smiled at judges table and didn't look like she was about to kill them. Half-hearted "whoo" for that.

I am happy Stephanie won, though!

Oh, and I learned yesterday that it doesn't matter how much baking you do... sometimes, if you don't follow directions, stuff doesn't work that well! If you don't brush all the dough with egg white wash, the cinnamon sugar really won't stick! Oops.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:38:00 PM  
Blogger mamafabun said...

Seriously, they couldn't have let Lisa win. No one would have been happy about that. Probably not even Lisa. I don't know that she's ever happy.

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

I didn't even understand The Questions, let alone The Answers. Thank God For Bakeries.

xoxo,
TDR

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not reading that recipe, I'd think creaming the butter with the mixer and then slowly adding milk, bit at a time, would be the easiest.

-kat

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Jenifer said...

I completely blame you for my fancyflours order. And my new obsession with cupcake liners.

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:54:00 PM  
OpenID babsinblogland said...

I've never watched en episode of Top Chef, but last night some friends and I ate at Richard Blais' restuarant here in Atlanta. All my friends were so excited. We had a private room and he came down and talked with us and told us all about the show and took pictures. Then he came back and made us a special concoction- Liquid Nitrogen margaritas. I'm still nursing that hangover. And the food was great!

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I thought I was the only person on the planet not watching Top Chef, so thank goodness someone else admitted it. The only question I have is dog food related, so maybe I'll ask Nina.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Babs you need to watch Top Chef! Richard was fun to watch! I need to hear about what you ate...

Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:42:00 PM  
OpenID babsinblogland said...

Fried Green Tomatoes- which were shaped like cheesesticks served with a buttermilk ice cream (I think) instead of horseradish. Very good.

Duck Deviled Eggs- I tried the ones topped with bacon. YUM!

Piminto Cheese on some kind of cracker- a weird suggestion by our server but good nonetheless.

Shrimp and Grits- you could taste the lime. Very good.

My friends had the fried chicken and mac and cheese. They said it was good but not the nbest they've ever had.

They brought out little plates of veggies- mashed potatoes and pickles are the two I tried. Very good.

Red Velvet Cake- Average

Some kind of pecan spice cake with sweet tea ice cream. Delicious!

Coke Float- blah

Homemade moon pies- tasty.

As you can see I like to eat. The appetizers and desserts the table shared so that is how I got to try everything.

My mom is coming to town in a couple of weeks. I'll take her there. It was that yummy. And suprisingly not too pricey. Fantastic atmoshphere. It's called Home and you feel very much like you are in someone's house.

I'll be writing about this tomorrow at my spot and including pics.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home