Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind, cause I don't shine if you don't shine, before you go, can you read my mind?

People always ask me to plan or cater their parties. The answer? HELLZ NO. I was in the wedding invite biz and I ain't goin' back. It's too costly (even if they are paying for it) and too time consuming (I have 'The Mole' to watch on tivo, hello. Time is precious.)

The only thing I will do is offer to throw a shower for a really good friend, once in a blue moon. Apparently, the moon is blue. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the upcoming party that I am planning is a baby shower. The mom2be had only one request, that is for each guest to bring a book to start the child's library. A great idea. There are tons of books that my kids adore. While these are not classics in the sense that they were written fairly recently, they are still really enjoyed by the kids every week.

Little Pea - Amy Krause Rosenthal & Jen Corace
Ok, first off, who doesn't love Jen Corace. Any indie designer with a love of art, really. But more than that, my kids ADORE this book. They recite it at dinnertime it's that hilarious. It's one of the first things I ever posted on this blog when the Kid learned to speak and memorized it. It's a great modern book.

The Pigeon Wants A Puppy
- Mo Willems
You know that we are Mo Willems devotees up in this house, and this new book from the pigeon series does not disappoint. Like all the pigeon books it's lively, interesting and hilarious.

Only in Dreams (Julius) - Paul Frank
True, this book is a bit biased given my own kids love of monkeys and the mom2be's love of Paul Frank, but this is a really good book. Very visual, a great bedtime book that takes you through your dreams and senses.

I'm always looking for new books for the kids, so if you had to bring a book - an old classic or a new favorite - to a baby shower, what would you recommend?

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Jen14221 said...

Goodnight Moon (obvious) or 10 Minutes Til Bedtime (one of Will's faves)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

Skippyjon Jones!

He's the coolest. I love reading these books to my nephew. They CRACK ME UP. (It's not about the kid, it's about what amuses me, clearly.)

http://www.amazon.com/Skippyjon-Jones-Mummy-Trouble/dp/0525477543/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215024617&sr=8-1

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Not saying because I know Nanners will read this! Will there be any way to not bring duplicates? I guess we can all do gift receipts.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger zeghsy said...

we have four that are given at every shower.

goodnight moon
big red barn
i love you as much (the monkey's fav)
guess how much i love you (my fav)

unimaginative? who cares, we're almost always the ONLY ones who bring books for the baby.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I collect them so I could go on for days and days. But when I was a kid I loved Bill and Pete books from Tommie dePaola and Runaway Bunny. I loved trying to find the mom hiding :)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Anything by Shel Silverstein of course...

And do kids still read Dr. Seuss? Or is that not cool anymore?

(BTW...when is the shower?)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger the slackmistress said...

Eloise in the house.

Which says way more about me.

(Also: Madeline)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

A Fish Out of Water by Helen Palmer or One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Those were my favorite two books as a lil kid.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:07:00 PM  
Blogger bubbie said...

I LOVE the book idea! I may just steal it when I have a baby shower. Christmas themed story books would be a great idea.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

*squeal*

I'm so excited! And I'm honored to be graced by the presence of the Hostess with the Mostess! You ROCK!

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger madelyn said...

For a different sort of board book, I love Charley Harper's ABCs. Never too soon for the baby to see cool art.

And of course I am partial to the Madeline books.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Monster at the End of This Book. I just love Grover.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger camille said...

good night gorilla! and good ol' the very hungry caterpillar.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:01:00 PM  
Anonymous fulanita said...

These are for slightly older kids, but...Oliver Jeffers is our new favorite. The Incredible Book-Eating Boy, Lost and Found.....

Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:17:00 AM  
Blogger ButterflyChica said...

I love you, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt

My kids dig it to the max. But, my kids are weird.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

Love you Forever never fails to make me cry. I can't even think about it w/out tearing up.

We are big fans of Eric Carle (Polar Bear, Brown Bear, Panda Bear, Caterpillar, Ladybug, Cricket)

I personally love the Velveteen Rabbit from my childhood.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

yay! my next baby gift is covered again. oh wait, the next one i have to give is to the same mom2be. alright, the one after that.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

Nanette is going to get 15 Million Copies of Good Night Moon. I know because before My Life As A Drama Teacher, I used to work for A Well Known Children's Bookstore. We used to advise people Not To Buy The Book For A New Mom because she probably already had it. Tell Nanette she should register for the books (Yes! You can do that sort of thing!) so that she doesn't receive 15 million copies of Good Night Moon. (Books can sometimes be difficult to return.) Otherwise, be prepared to read Good Night Moon 15 Million Times.

We LOVE Mo Willems and The Pigeon Wants A Puppy!!!! TAF does a great Pigeon, btw. He also does a good Elephant and a decent Piggie. Mo Willems has A Blog!

xoxo,
TDR

Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey, um, can I drive the bus?

Monday, July 07, 2008 5:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home