Tuesday, July 15, 2008

That ain't no Etch A Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be undid, Homeskillet...

So here's how the design process works. When I first told Nanette that I'd throw her baby shower, I had a design concept in mind. Since we are both bakers and fans of baked goods, I thought I'd make an invite that was a play on the old saying, "Bun in the Oven." But of course, I couldn't make it that simple. I had to do something to make it go above and beyond.

I knew pink and green were her wedding colors and I wanted to incorporate that since it was the next phase in their lives. (See, my designs have a purpose. ~wink~) Also she was having a girl and was all about the pink, so it was nice to run with it. Sometimes non-gender specific colors can get boring. I made a 'holder' for the actual invite that said, 'Guess who's got a...' and then when you open it: '...bun in the oven!' I drew an oven, but just an outline, as a background, because the plan was to put an actual cookie that looked like a bun, 'in' the oven, and I wanted it to stand out. Get it? BUN. In the oven?? GET IT? Ugh. I am so lame it's exhausting. Anyway, I was going to bake something bun-like in miniature form, but since the Burger Bites are super easy and look nice wrapped up, and they are - after all, buns, I went with those.

I thought it was a great idea until I found out that she needed 50 invites. Yikes. I wanted them to be a surprise, but I started to wonder if I should scale back and think about a redesign. Could I actual execute this complicated design for FIFTY invites? Good lord.

But once I had a design concept in my head, it was hard to turn back. I figured I could do it if I planned it out right. I mean, back when I did custom wedding invitations I once did an 8 piece invitation (each invite had eight individual components) and the bride needed 250 of them. That was 2000 individual hand stamped, cut and folded pieces. So this...er...this should be a...cinch?

It was. It all worked out well and hopefully the guests were surprised and pleased. I'm guessing some arrived crushed but I'm totally blaming that on the post office. Ha. The point was, I wanted to design something that would tie together the invites, favors and dessert table. (That's all I'm responsible for, her mom and MIL are doing the rest.) I hope it makes the guests look forward to a sugary, sweet, happy shower. Now...on to the favors...

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

I LOVE EM! And I know all the guests will love them, too! :)

Thanks for being awesome! :)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

totally awesome. those are a lot of buns.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Randi said...

Seriously -- The Best Invite EVAH! My Burger arrived Crushed, but I Blamed The PO, too. TAF wants me to tell you, He Greatly Enjoyed His Delicious Bite Of Burger Cookie. That's right -- I only gave him A Bite. I can't wait to find out What How That Invite Holds Up In The Baby Book, 20 years from now.

Very Impressive.

xoxo,
TDR

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I love the play on "bun in the oven."

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger ib73 said...

You should really think about doing these for purchase. I think you could make a killin'.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

SO CUTE! I totally want to hire you to do our announcements in January.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

Cutest invite EVER. My burger was crushed too, but that's the USPS for ya. And it was still delicious of course.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You are a good friend.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

Seriously, the best invitation ever. My burger bite was not crushed, though the peppermint pattie was a little smushed. Just looked like the burger was overhanging the bun a tiny bit. Delish, of course.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

you are brilliant

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Awesome!!!!!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

You out did yourself woman! Amazing and so playful! And you're both bakers...OFCOURSE this would work! Did you get that comment about marketing it????

Mmmm, burgers...making me hungry at 10a in the morning!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Linda said...

hi Jenn - I've tried to comment before and for some reason it wouldn't take. Well, here goes again. I love reading your blog. Your sense of humor is terrific and so is all the great information, ie. recipes, LA, food, family. etc. and your kids are too cute.
I found you through my niece Jen's blog, Quarter Life Crisis. She mentioned that she met you recently when she was in LA on business.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

I think you should officially change that saying to "A hamburger in the oven." I'm goint to start saying that now rather than "bun in the oven." I think it totally works.

Great idea - Happy Shower!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

wow!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

Man, I think you even out did yourself with those! I can't wait to hear what the favors and dessert table were like! :)

Um, what's the name of the font on the front of the invite? I love it.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Kt said...

I'm new to your blog but just have to say - I am super impressed. Wow!

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Wow - I knew I recognized your work. We met thru the knot.com almost 5 years ago! You created my wedding monogram.
I love your site - somehow it came up on my google alert... I think you posted about Cerritos.
Anyhow, I love the art and recipes. I have feedback for you that I'll leave on those pages.
Take care.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Writerjax said...

fantastic! anything with a food component gets automatic bonus points, but the design is fab on its own. I want to try my hand at the burger bites, too...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger The Rauths said...

ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

Those are too adorable!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger wan-nabe said...

those are SWEET!

get it? sweet? cookies?

hey, is this thing on?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger amber said...

those are ADORABLE!!!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger mrsmogul said...

CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger celia said...

i want to get knocked up just so you can make my shower invites.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Winnie said...

Really cute idea!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home