Sunday, July 06, 2008

Where our hearts were really thumpin', say yeah yeah yeah

My Uncle's 4th o' July bash was a success. While I look forward to it every year, there some annoying people that never change. (Can you believe this SAME THING is going down 2 years later?? Must. Control. Rage.) One thing that is consistent is my Uncle's annual taste tests. This year my Aunt went all out and did FANCIFIED ballots and everything. Hello. We are professional now.
In years past they've done hot dogs, root beers, and bbq chips, always with surprising results. This year was ketchups and mustards. Six different kinds. My Unc's going to be up to his eyeballs in condiments for weeks. I was very depressed to find out that I preferred Hunts, because I am a Heinz devotee all the way. Now I'm all kinds of screwed up in the head. My cousin suggested that we liked Hunts since it's the ketchup they use at Disneyland, something I can never forgive them for. All I can say is THANK GOD Disneyland only sells Coke, cause I'd rather die in a desert than drink a Pepsi, thanks.

I'm convinced my Uncle's burgers taste the best because he is drunk when he makes them. All the food was so good. I made french breakfast muffins, zucchini muffins, mac 'n' cheese and I brought the watermelon ice cream bombe - per the usual, but I also made a smaller, secondary bombe. This time I took chocolate ice cream and filled it with cherry vanilla ice cream. Wow, it was fantastic. I think the fresh cherries definitely made a difference, but I bet store bought ice cream would work just as well. I think the guests found a new favorite, since everyone raved about the chocolate cherry flavor combo.
This year's party has come and gone - I guess just wait for my 2009 post when I talk about the same crazy beyotch and the same watermelon ice cream bombe. Again. Lord, am I dullsville.

Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream recipe.
Chocolate Cherry Bombe recipe.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Alexis said...

I COMPLETELY agree with you about Pepsi. Have you ever tried Diet Pepsi? It might be the worst tasting drink ever.

My sister and I like to rank everything in the world according to whether it is Coke or Pepsi. The only example that I can think of right now is that McDonald's is Coke and Burger King is Pepsi.

That is alarming about Hunts. I may have to try it now. I don't think I ever have because I think that Heinz is the divine nectar of the Gods.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

hnh. the hunts thing is interesting indeed. i'm a heinz girl, too, although i'm not the biggest fan of ketchup in the first place.

the fresh cherry ice cream looks too too good.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a fun party! I love the ice cream bombs!

Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I think it's cool that you have this family tradition. No, make some random plans that fall through that day and then scramble to make a holiday of it. That's my story. It all worked out okay, but there was no ice cream and that makes me a little sad.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger starry said...

Chocolate vanilla and cherry sounds a little like black forest gateaux I love that mmmmm. I might have to make me an ice cream bomb even though I'm not big on icecream.

I hate pepsi too! If I go anywhere that does pepsi and not coke I make them mix it half and half with tango (which is icky too ) and it's drinkable.

Monday, July 07, 2008 2:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home