Sunday, August 17, 2008

Blind melon

I go to a lot of Farmer's Markets as you know. So when I saw in the Food Section of the Times that they were starting a new one at Century City, I packed up the kids and headed out there. It was kind of a disappointment. While the kids had fun running around the CAA lawn, and the band was FANTASTIC, the booths were few and far between. And that's what I was there for. The produce.

I did manage to pick up a few good things. Fresh corn, mango for the boys, a lemon tart for me (good god that was delicious) and a Japanese melon. What kind of Japanese melon? Who knows. It was really really good so I kept asking the lady what kind is it and getting the answer out of her was like pulling teeth.

Jenn: "Wow, this melon is fantastic, what kind is it?"
Lady
: "Japanese."

Jenn
: "No, what's the name of it?"

Lady
: "Melon."

Jenn
: "Yes, yes, but what
kind of melon?"
Lady: "Japanese melon."

Oh forget it. It was good anyway. The market was in front of the lawn between Century Park Towers and the CAA building. Say what you will about man made parks, I love seeing tall high rises next to patches of green. It makes me inexplicably happy. I was disappointed to see that Tom Colicchio's Craft wasn't open until 11:30, so we headed to the Stand for lunch. I love the Stand, great burgers, dogs DRAFT ROOT BEER (heaven) and more importantly - all you can eat pickles. We are a pickle eatin' family so we ate a TON.I'm not sure if I'd go back to that market, I think I'd rather stick with SaMo or Hollywood. They've only been open for two weeks anyway, hopefully they'll get their feet off the ground. Any chance for fresh produce is a good one, I say. Now I guess I'll dig into this melon. It's Japanese, apparently.

More market pictures here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

people at farmer's markets who don't know what they're selling make me sad. one of the main reasons i go is to buy from people who love and know well what they're doing and their product.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Do all farmer's markets have bands?

Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:19:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Librarian said...

Yes, but what we'd all like to know is - what kind of melon is it?

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home