Monday, August 25, 2008

Get in my belly!

The most talked about thing at the shower were the cupcake babies. The inspiration came from the well known fabulous Hello, Cupcake book! Great stuff in there. I saw the Slumber Party 'kids' cupcakes and thought they could easily be turned into babies. And they kinda looked like the babies I draw too.

I basically followed the books directions - except for using box mix and canned frosting. As you know I am totally ANTI box mix, so I made a lemon cupcake (the mom2be's fave) and iced it with a lemon frosting. Then I cut a marshmallow in half and used one side for the pillow and one for the body.Here's where I DID use pre-packaged frosting. And man, that was a hard decision, cause I hate that crap with a passion. But with the daunting task of 36 cupcakes in front of me, I thought what the hell, I'll try it - I bought one of those frosting in a tube thingies with tips from the baking aisle. It was a little thick, but it worked. I'd have rather used chocolate to pipe the face as the book suggested, I think it would have given me a finer line. But again, I was thinking of my Kid who can't have chocolate, and since he was coming to the party - I didn't want to take any chances. I actually adapted ALL the party food to his allergies. Shh. I don't think the guests knew the difference...

Those faces are just MINI nilla wafers. Neat stuff, that. Even though I made itty bitty ice cream sandwiches with them in the past, these cupcakes sold me on their versatility. Note: must think up more uses for mini nilla wafers.

The blanket - just rolled out Starburst. Man, when this kids found this out they gobbled it up! I found it kind of gross, and let me tell you, it was NOT easy to work with. Just labor intensive, then again if I only had to do a dozen cupcakes, not 36 - I'd be in the clear.All in all these things were a HIT. People loved them and I am trying to think of more opportunities to make them again.

Mayyybbe it's a little creepy to eat things that look like babies? Honestly, I am more about the cupcakes than the candies, and I...threw mine in the trash. DOH. Perhaps I should have safe surrendered it on the porch of police station.

Sleeping babies cupcakes
how to, here.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

they turned out ADORABLE! i love the little faces!

but i know what you mean about it being a little creepy to eat things that look like babies. have you ever seen marzipan babies? google it and the images that come up are pretty disturbing - but delicious, i hear?!?!? lol

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

so many ideas...so little time! such a cute idea! seriously, when? how? you must not sleep!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Ally said...

Excellent job!

Not being a big baker, if I do decide to dive in and try this, how do you get the cupcakes out of the pan once they've been decorated?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Those are adorable! How about a fruit roll up cut up for the blanket?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mommie Mayhem said...

Great job. Im not a baker or a cooker , so basically we eat out A LOT !!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

My favorite part was the marshmallow pillow!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

Totally much better than the creepy baby bottom cakes or, even worse, pregnant belly cakes I've seen at cakewrecks

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home