Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael: I would never say this to her face, but she is a wonderful person and a gifted artist.
Oscar: What? Why wouldn't you say that to her face?

Asian foodfest day 72. Or something.

When I was in high school I was teaching the architecture class (just 3 people), because I had run out of electives and my teacher said what the hell. He and I both knew that I was going to be an architect for a living, even at 15. So much so that he pressed me to go work at an architecture firm twice a week after school. Like Johnny Tremain I was to be an apprentice. Without the whole mangled hand thing.

While there, an older architect took me under his wing and decided he was going to school me in the ways of architecture. It turned out to be the best work experience ever. It was tedious, for sure. Lettering by hand for hours. Memorizing Sweets category numbers. Drawing and tracing buildings and trees, over and over. Back then neither of us realized that pencils would be obsolete in just a few years. Which is why I think it was so helpful. It made me have to learn how to draw and the artistry that is involved in creating a building.

Why the hell I put up with this I have no idea. The older, cynical me of today would be like 'screw you old man.' But back then I was in love with architecture and I wanted to learn every part of it. Little did I know 20 years later I'd be huddled in a bathroom stall crying, wondering why I chose such a low paying profession with such insane work ethic, at the cost of my children's well being. BUT I DIGRESS.He taught me all kinds of weird things. I think he was bored with his job and was happy to not work and just talk to me all day. So one day he gave me this recipe and said, 'When you are older and have children you should make them this recipe every week. It is easy and tasty and good for you.' In some weird way it stuck with me and I carried that recipe with me all through college up and up til today. He was right. It is easy. And tasty.

I don't know where that old architect is today, but I truly want to thank him. He guided me in such a way that while design school and after has not been easy, many roadblocks were a breeze for me because of him. Everything he taught me I still use daily. And I have a tasty recipe for my children as well. Just like he said.

Lettuce wraps recipe

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

What a great story! I envy people like you and my husband who always knew what they wanted (Although, it's no good to hear that you are no longer happy). However, as you said, he taught you things that you use all the time.

I don't see the recipe, but I'll check back.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Mmmm, Lettuce wraps...hey, I JUST had that! Yours look better though!

and another "hey!"...I can post to your blog today from work! That's really wierd...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Was that architect Frank Lloyd Wright because he's famous now.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

that's awesome. while i have worked with and studied under cool people, i have yet to find a true true mentor.

and lettuce wraps look yummy and easy enough to do at home.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Awesome story! And that recipe sounds delish! Some of those will end up in Em Dash's belly someday.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

ah...lettuce wraps...i love those...i regret not going into architecture/and art school...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home