Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ticket to ride, the white line highway
Tell all your friends, they can go my way

In the June issue of Giant Robot, James Jarvis talks about the simplicity of design, and how designing something clean, simple, is actually extremely complex. I know in my own designs - stationery or architecture - it takes hours upon hours to make it look so...simple.

Except when it comes to baking. It is then I tend to go for overload. I'm not talking about 'cake wrecks' (which is an insanely funny blog) but when I bake I like to go for that 'wow' factor in how it looks and definitely in how it tastes.

A co-worker is (wisely) quitting and moving to the east coast tomorrow. To send her off I decided to make a zebra cake - in cupcake form. You may have seen versions of it making it's rounds on the internet. Don't get it confused with a marble cake, no way, no how. This is much more...time consuming. ~sigh~ If I had made a cake, it wouldn't be so bad - but a cupcake? Good lord. It took me 5 minutes to make the batter and 45 minutes to fill the damn cups. How did it turn out?
Pretty darn good. The layered lines were gorgeous inside. I used a freakin' teaspoon to make each one. Do you know how many teaspoons are in a cupcake? TOO DAMN MANY. I made up a quick mocha frosting which was delish, and I had to write it down quick so I did't forget how I did it.

The whole thing was really tasty and pretty. Was it worth it? Yes. Was it a pain in the a$$? Yes. Try it and let me know how it goes. For now, I think I should go back and apply my own design philosophy to baking and go simple. Next? White cake. White frosting. The end.zebra cupcakes recipe
mocha frosting recipe

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

loving the opening.

those cupcakes are awesome. black and white with a hawt section.

but yeah, 45 minutes filling cupcakes? bah! i would have thrown the bowls of batter across the room already.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Librarian said...

I made something similar for a friend's leaving do at work, by the end of filling the cupcakes I gave up and just poured it right in. Looked like the zebra had been run over, but still tasted delicious.

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Sara said...

Beautiful!

I do something very similar for kids' parties - Rainbow Cupcakes. I make a simple white batter, divide into 6 bowls, and color them red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Then they get layered into the cupcake liners in the same order. They're simple, colorful, fun, and not that time-consuming because I just pour right from the bowls into the liners, not worrying about perfect placement or even distribution. Kids love 'em!

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:15:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

beautiful.

but like the terduckin, I'll probably leave it to others to create.

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

OOOOH funnn! i just posted these babies but with color on craftster
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/rckfella/Picture1-2.png
soon zebra cakes will rule the world!

-karen

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I'm tired just thinking about baking those bad boys.

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how eye-catching. I think I'm going to borrow this idea for Halloween cupcakes and use food coloring for the white cake to make it orange!!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 4:35:00 AM  
Blogger Lara Petch said...

I did this with multiple colors and they were rainbow cupcakes :) Pain in the a$$ for sure, but I love the look on peoples faces when they see how awesome it is :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Gorden said...

This will not actually have effect, I think so.
dress websites | South Carolina tourism | size of business card

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:57:00 AM  
Blogger Six Pack said...

Why not use a pastry bag rather than teaspoon

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home