Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Tracy: [upon seeing Liz in a wedding dress] Oh, no! Did a Korean person die?

Day two of Asian Food Fest 2008. I'm pretty sure I am going to have to forcibly make the FIL eat Peruvian food tomorrow cause I'm kinda over it. Tonight I made Korean food. But seeing as how we are not Korean, and the recipes are my own, I'll just call them FAUXrean.

I made my world famous (not really) kalbi. A true Korean would be horrified that I use a can of Sprite in my recipe, but hell, at least it's not the Korean "mint flavored Sprite". Blech.
In addition to that I also made some Chap Chae, again, a bastardized version, but hey, I'm going for flavor and simplicity. This was a really good, filling meal. I cooked it on an indoor grill, nothing like smoky meat to perfume up the joint. Man does my house smell good right now. I'm sure I do too. I should probably shower.

Kalbi recipe
Chap Chae recipe

*As you can tell my recipes site is f*cked. I have decided to never cook again. That or I have moved to blogger. Whatever. It will take me years to transfer everything because I am lazy and technically challenged. Just close your eyes and hope that it'll be fixed someday. That's what I do.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

the kalbi recipe looks legit minus the sprite. but then again my mom uses pureed kiwi or asian pear as the secret tenderizing agent, so sub sprite for that and voila...not that bastardized after all. jap chae my mom's way takes like half a day, so i rarely make it.

your ILs are lucky. i just take mine out to eat.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

i like your recipe for the kalbi. I'm currently ESLing in Korea, and have been for the past year, but I'll be home in at the end of the month. I want to be able to make some of the foods I've eaten (despite the fact that many Koreans think that no one can possibly cook Korean food, but a Korean). I'm gonna try that jap chae recipe when I get home. thanks for the post.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

You know what direction my comment would lead, so I'll just refrain. This time.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fauxrean?? Faux Shizzle!!

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom is from Korea, sells Korean food at her restaurant, and uses 7up for her bulgogi and kalbi. I had no idea that this isn't common... I will go talk to her.
Anyway, your food always looks so great! I love your blog and look forward to reading it every day.
Thanks for sharing your recipes/stories with us!

-Laura

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:57:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

everyone I cook for LOVES your Kalbi and that mochi chicken (did I get that one right?). so yeah, I'll have to make the chap chae. cause we like noodles.

thanks for sharing the recipes.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home