Sunday, September 21, 2008

Coolin' by the lockers getting kind of funky
Me and the crew - we're drinking Brass Monkey

The Baby was a thumb sucker. He never really had an attachment, although lately he's taken to carrying around a 'blankie' a la Linus. Get this though, it's not really a blanket, it's a pillowcase for an ergonomic pillow. Yes, he uses an ergonomic pillow. Suddenly he thinks he's 70.

The Kid, he's another story. From the day he was born he has ALWAYS carried around his monkey. In our house he's not known as Curious George, he is simply, HaHa. This monkey is a big deal. I can't find another like him. He is an old skool Rey monkey made of yarn, not these new crappily made knock offs from the new film. He is one of a kind. The monkey is not allowed to leave the house for fear that my son will lose it mentally and never get into college because remember that one day you lost HaHa. Yeah.

The Kid had his first playdate with a friend from school. This little girl also loves monkeys - friendship inevitable! So I made some Curious George, er...HaHa cupcakes.
People have emailed me and asked me about the cupcake designs. Frankly, I think about them for a long time. Just think. About the process, how the pieces need to be cut out of fondant. Maybe I do a few sketches, but mostly I just do it all on the fly right then and there. No trial runs, just do it. I say go for it. If it doesn't work, no harm done. Just eat it plain. People are just happy to get cupcakes, no matter what they look like.

I'm not gonna lie. There are times when things are tough and I want to hold onto a HaHa of my own and hope for the best. I'm sure that'd go over well in client presentations.

Curious George cupcakes, how to.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger APlanet4Creation said...

You never know what they will get attached to. My yougest LOVES her special edition denim Eeyore. We got it for her on sale (as they were discountining it). Suddenly its her only sleep toy. He has been washed and is more patch now then denim. I wish we had bought 2. We have bought other versions of Eeyore but they just don't get the love!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

My son has a stuffed blue bear...he takes him everywhere ( I know, my mistake) one night, at the fireworks at the park, we lost him. It was devastating not just for him but for all of us. I felt terrible about allowing it to happen. My boy was inconsolable. It was a Ty Beanie Buddy that was "retired" my husband bought it for him the day he was born. Anyway, long story short, I managed to find one on Ebay, and through much sewing and handy-work make it into a believable replica....

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

Genius!!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Kuism said...

Awe, that is so cute! I love your curious george cuppucake. :)

Haha and chichi? Or Haha as in LOL? Lmao.

I'm reading way too much into this aren't I? XD

Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine E said...

They are ADORABLE! I love all things monkey, despite being considered a grown up (in some circles) I have 6 monkey toys that reside with us-our "tribe" if you will. I know a couple of people who would love it if I made these for them for their birthday! :)

Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger Bully said...

Everybody needs a stuffed animal somedays. As Mae West so famously said, "It's not the stuffed animals in your life, it's the life in your stuffed animals."

Especially little stuffed bulls and monkeys.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

You could kick so much ass on that Food Network Challenge show.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Love 'em!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger camille said...

okay, i am officially in love with that notebook paper .. display thing.. you have! i work at a school and i am a sucker for that kind of stuff! where did you get it??

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Camille: At one of the awesomest dish supply stores in the world, Fishs Eddy in New York. Don't worry if you are far away, I got these shipped, they were packed so well there was no breakage at all.

http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/2,137.html

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:45:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

Seconding the recommendation for Fishs Eddy--they are wonderful and have great customer service!

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

too cute! my mom and I always tease my sister that monkeys are her favorite thing... really they're becoming MY favorite thing lately... :)

Monday, September 22, 2008 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

Loving the cupcakes! What a cute idea!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Ursula said...

that is so adorable, wow, what a work of art.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

these are the cutest cupcakes I ever seen!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Hi Jenn!
I love everything you bake but I have a question. You use fondant a lot--do your kids like it? My only experience with fondant has been wedding cakes, but I never really enjoyed the flavor and texture. Because of this, I've never tried to use it on cupcakes. Is this just me? Do you find a lot of people eat the fondant?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Karen:

That's a great question because frankly, I think fondant is kinda gross. I mean, it does what it's supposed to, it's decorative. It depends on my kid's moods. Sometimes they eat JUST the fondant, sometimes they bypass it. I've noticed that fondant from Surfas tastes a little better than that Wilton crap you get at craft stores. But really, if it's just decorative it doesn't matter as much.
That's why I always make really tasty frosting to hold it down. That way if they just peel it off at least there is something yummy underneath.
I think whether or not people eat it really depends on your sugar intake - how much you can handle ;)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Terence said...

This won't really have success, I consider like this.
secretary sex video | first time anal | social responsibility in business

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home