Thursday, September 25, 2008

Give a hand to my band, Sexual Chocolate.

You know how I went to New York? Oh yeah. I didn't say anything. Oh well, who cares where I am, right? I'm like a magician. I'm not even here...right now! In any case, I went recently, and everytime I go I HAVE to visit Max Brenner's chocolate shop.

I love that place. It's like Willy Wonka on crack. He has some of the most amazing things, all chocolate related. Aside from the chocolate - the breakfasts are fantastic!. Omlettes, potatoes, all of it great. The toast comes with little an assortment of spreads, homemade peanut butter, melted chocolate, marmalade and butter. They have a full menu too, but of course you'd only go there for the chocolate, right? The hot chocolate is outstanding and comes in the cutest little 'hug mugs' ever.One of my favorite desserts is the 'ice cream bar'. A little bar of vanilla ice cream on a stick, that comes with melted chocolate and dipping toppings. Don't think I haven't been thinking up ways to incorporate this into a party somehow...

If you are in New York you MUST check this place out. It's wonderful, and if you still aren't won over, than maybe you just need a syringe full of chocolate to make you believe...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Hillary said...

oh my hell
I need me one of those chocolate syringes
stat!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Alejandra said...

Oh man those are awesome! I want one of those to keep at my desk for emergencies.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Babs said...

Yeah I'm totally going to try to get there at Christmas when I go visit Moms.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:32:00 PM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

I don't want to be a hater, but to be honest, they have about five good things there, really great things that make that place worthwhile: Mexican hot chocolate, the ice cream bar and the crepes are all winners. The rest of their chocolate stuff is just too waxy, I'm not a fan of their chocolate sauce. Maybe I've just gone there too many times and it's worn out its welcome in my chocolately heart?

That said, if you're in the NYC, check out the ChikaLicious 3 course dessert bar, that place is worth the trip alone and I have never had a disappointing dessert there. The menu changes with the seasons for the most part as well, so you never get bored of the same old things (like I have been at Max Brenner's lately).

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger sarah @ Sweet Endeavors said...

i went to NYC last week and I had been wanting to go to Max Brenners. I wasn't feeling good my we went anyway...I got soup. That's right...soup. My dad got a banana split waffle for lunch. I didn't even have dessert. It was sad. McCrum, i have heard of chikalicious. Is it expensive? I need to go there next time.

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Hillary said...

Haha, wow! I like the ice cream bar concept, very clever!

Friday, September 26, 2008 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger giz lau said...

i <3 max brenner :) check out my post: http://winefoodyum.blogspot.com/2008/09/foodies-labour-day-adventure-in-nyc.html

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:06:00 PM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

Sarah,

I don't consider it expensive (but I live in NYC and our expensive-meters are a little off), it's prix fixe: $12 for the dessert, amuse bouche and petit fours. $7 more for wine pairing.

The best part about it is that she's got such great spins on typical desserts and very fun plating. Last time I had key lime soup with key lime sorbet. Perfect cantaloupe sorbet was the amuse. Several years ago I had a staggering basil sorbet that has lived with me fondly since.

It's kind of like a suchi bar, but with dessert. You sit at the bar and watch Chika and her assistant put it all together. She's very friendly and will answer any questions you have about anything. I think this place is just the best.

At any rate, if I had just one evening in the Village and needed to spend a pleasant hour at dessert, this is where I'd go.

Jeff

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger sarah @ Sweet Endeavors said...

jeff, thanks for the info. i can't wait to try it next time i go up!

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home