Monday, September 08, 2008

I'm on the hunt, I'm after you

I have plans, you see. Halloween costumes are bought. Halloween items are made. Which means it's time to move on to November. Screw Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is dead to me. That was the day that I went in to labor and had to eat hospital turkey - aka the Baby's birthday. Last year's Wolverine/Elmo party was a success. This year we'll see how a DINO/GODZILLA theme goes over with the now 3-year old set.

Me being me, I am already making over the top plans, but those plans include a key element that I'm missing, a 6" tall 1954 Godzilla figurine. I could go on the internet and find it and ship it to my doorstep, but come on, that would be too easy. Instead I packed up the kids and headed to the land of Godzilla...TOKYO. Little Tokyo to be exact. Our family calls it 'J-Town' but that may not be pc, who knows. We are old skool.
So I told the kids to keep and eye out, but that Godzilla, he's wily and elusive. You'd think his number one hang out would be the mochi store, but shockingly, he wasn't there. Oh well. That didn't stop us from snacking.

Then the Kid spotted him at a gift shop, but at $20? Hellz no. Not if it's just for me and the kids to screw around with. I told the Kid, "This not the droid we are looking for." Um. I mean monster we are looking for.I was disappointed. Cranky. I wanted to turn over a card table a la Simon Le Bon to vent my frustrations. Instead we went to lunch, which turned out to be possibly THE BEST Japanese restaurant ever, I can't believe I haven't eaten here! But I know exactly why - the line is LONG. We are talking waiting for Sprinkles cupcakes long, AND they grace us with no air conditioning. Good lord. Two things that equal my worst nightmare. Who knew that 85 degrees outside could feel mild compared to this place.
The restaurant is called Daikokuya. It's more what I call Japanese 'bar food', that is, no sushi, mostly noodles and bowls. Being the worst asian in the world, I don't eat raw fish or even like miso soup, so this place is fine by me. When I say 'bar food' I'm saying that if you have been drinking a lot, this would be the place to go late at night for some damn good grub. They pride themselves on their kurobuta pork. I have to say, this stuff was fabulous. Crispy edges, soft meat, melt in your mouth fabulous. And the gyoza were pretty amazing too. The kids even cleaned their plates and that's hard to get them to do when we eat out. So the heat and the long wait? TOTALLY worth it. I am still thinking about that meal.
As we were leaving the Kid yelled out "THERE HE IS!" And there was Godzilla above the door, ready to pounce. But at that point we had given up our search, because two of the finest Godzilla wranglers in the West had texted that they had already found him for me, in San Diego of all places. Hm. Godzilla destroys...the Gaslamp? I wonder if Matthew Broderick is free...

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I call it J-town too, but that's probably just because of all my Asian friends! ;-)

Halloween is my favorite, but it won't be much of anything this year. It's on a Friday, so I'm off, and it's HUGE @ work. Also, it's a Friday, so we're doing a Drive-In (double feature), so no West Hollywood. Maybe we'll get a party invite for the weekend. It looks like I'll only need zero to 1 costume this year instead of the 3 I usually have. : (

Monday, September 08, 2008 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Man, I feel like I'm to blame for your crankiness especially since I directed you to that store. What? It's closed???

Godzilla haunts my dreams and I know too much by association to Paul. Ask me ANYTHING!

--ha --- leaving comment -- I've been swamped!--

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:42:00 AM  
Blogger Our Man Horn said...

$20 for a Godzilla toy?

Drop $200 on a 1992 Bandai Biollante sometime and get back to me.

No, I'm not ashamed. Overly.

http://tinyurl.com/5vqz89

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I saw those too. Not even close to being on my wallet radar.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:49:00 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

Just thought I'd share... last year we bought our Godzilla off Ebay. Mostly because I didn't have time to look around.
After the holidays.... I saw him in ToyRUs for $7.99. I thought I could cry.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

damn daikokuya's lines. if they were shorter, i'd be eating there every day now. and then getting some mochi at fugetsu do after. mmm.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:25:00 AM  
Blogger Saaman said...

Interesting blog. Thanks for sharing it here. I like to collect the Godzilla toys for my collection. Its so interesting.

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home