Monday, September 22, 2008

It's the bomb, 3-2-1 detonate, then boom,
give me some room, you better wait,
for the kid to blow-up and take off like a rocket

Dim Sum on the weekend is a great thing. I know there is good dim sum East on the 60 fwy- but that just ain't gonna happen for me. It's freakin' HOT out there (anything above 76 degrees and I am OUT) but mostly I can only take so long in the car with two starving kids.

Chinatown is great but they really need to clean it up. I'm not talking full on Starbucks style gentrification, but it's looking...old...abandoned. I'm a huge fan of downtown and it would be nice if people came back to the city, there's so many wonderful things to see and do down there, I can't say it enough.
The BEST bargain in Chinatown is the 5 for $1 boxes of 'poppers'. I'm not talking drugs, I'm talking little fire bombs that explode when you throw them at the ground. Hours...er, ten minutes of pure entertainment for the kiddies. Despite what it looks like, the Kid did not shoot his arm off. Those things aren't that powerful.
The boys favorite food at dim sum is the char siu bao. The Kid loves the bun while the Baby loves the pork. Figures. Some days are worse than others, but waiting around for the carts can be madness. I don't want the crazy weird looking crap, just roll up with the good stuff, dammit. Luckily I always pack backpacks for the kids to keep them occupied. Coloring books, puzzles, games, whatever will make MY life less stressful. As you can see, even the dinos got a good meal out of it.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lorraine E said...

You've just made me very hungry for yum cha at 22.40pm at night lol

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:41:00 AM  
Blogger One Food Guy said...

Oh poppers, you just brought me back to my childhood! And char siu bau, love them!

Just found your site, love your creativity and fun post titles!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Bao is the bomb. Love it. I friggin' hate those 'poppers' though and have to restrain myself from strangling anyone who sets one off near me. Just sayin.

P.S. I feel really old, lame, unhip, and out of touch reading your blog titles. I'm even too embarrassed to look them up.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

About the shirt the Kid, or is it the Baby is wearing; IS he really allergic to peanuts? I'm supposing so. My grandson is allergic to tree nuts, really allergic, as in life threatening. Where can one get shirts like that? They're cute. I know in LA one finds everything but I live in Rochester, NY
Linda

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Bully said...

I saw a kid wearing that Peanut shirt the other day in Park Slope and was trying to describe it to Randi and tell her how cute it was. Now I can just show her, on an even cuter kid!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Linda, yes, the Kid is very much allergic to peanuts. The shirt is from Paul Frank. I've seen it at the store in Manhattan - Little Italy on Mulberry.

Otherwise, I don't think it's available online anymore...?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger OCHalf07 said...

Love the peanut shirt and I HAD to buy one for a friend whose son has a serious allergy. I found it in several locations on-line -- googled "Small Paul Filbert Tee". I ordered mine from www.blackwagon.com (sizes were limited.) Thanks for the excellent gift idea -- I know it will be a hit!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home