Sunday, September 28, 2008

Jerry: I love the black and white. Two races of flavor living side by side...look to the cookie, Elaine. Look to the cookie.

Black. White. Two of my favorite colors. Powerful in design, it can give you a very modern feel. But it just so happens...to be my favorite cookie. The first thing I do when I go to New York is find me a black and white cookie. One bigger than my head is preferable, as it will last me all day. I eat the white first, every time. Last time I went I saw that Starbucks had MINI black and whites! Mini? ~swoon~ I wasn't expecting much from a pre-packaged cookie, but it was darn good and fit in my purse, so WIN. Why oh why don't we have these here? I'd buy them every single day.

For a while there I was making my own black and whites at home from an old Martha Stewart recipe. It was divine. But I also found myself eating them for 3 meals a day, so I thusly stopped makig them at home. Then I turned my attention to Dean and Deluca's box o' mini black and whites. I keep putting it in my 'shopping cart', but never get around to buying it. It's the shipping that hard to stomach. I keep hoping a cookie fairy will drop them on my doorstep. sigh. Where are all the cookie fairies, on strike? Someday, sweet sweet cookies, we will be together.

But I want to tell you of another black and white that has come to win my heart. A drink with the same name. I recently went to LA Mill, the fabulous, hip, supposely too bougie for Silverlake coffee boutique. While I had said in the past that Intelligentsia had the best coffee in L.A., well, now my brain is in a toss up. The coffee here is EXQUISITE. I don't know if it's the beans, or the Clover process or both. It is simply amazing.
And when I saw the words 'blanco y negro' on the menu, well - I just had to have it. What arrived was more than my heart could take. A well balanced brandy snifter, filled with crushed ice, with iced coffee poured on top and the most perfect dollop of rich vanilla bean ice cream. Quite frankly, I make this at home a lot, but my ingredients are as quality and it's usually thrown in the nearest bowl I can find. But this, this was heaven. The perfect combination of flavors and more importantly the lovely colors. With LA Mill's brioche french toast on the side, this would most likely be my last meal.

Now, I just have to get around to buying that box of black and white minis. Where is my credit card...

mini Black and White cookies recipe
, here.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

It's probably a little more ghetto than that fancy box, but Canter's has EXCELLENT Black & White cookies...large and mini. Yum.

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Babs said...

I made martha's B&W's a while back. They didn't look so pretty but they sure were tasty!

Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheaper black and white cookies with no additional shipping and handling:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11305573&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|62109|27594&N=4018738&Mo=15&pos=5&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=27594&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC15729-Cat62109&topnav=

Saturday, October 04, 2008 11:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home