Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Your turn to buy, my turn to drink
Your turn to cry, my turn to sink

A friend said to me, "Jenn, not everyone loves root beer like you do." To that I say, shut your mouf! The notion made me sad, weepy even. But then I perked right up when on my doorstep appeared...
A case of 24 bottles of root beer. WOW. All different - no two bottles were the same. A lovely birthday present - man, do my friends know me or what? What's shocking is that it made it all the way from the east coast intact, meanwhile I struggle with getting my eggs home from Trader Joe's down the street.
While I wanted to taste every one I knew I couldn't do it myself so I invited my family over for a root beer tasting party. Luckily the root beer love runs in the family. I made root beer pulled pork sandwiches, sweet corn bread muffins, fruit salad, and had lots and lots of chips on hand. I figure with all that root beer, we'd need something salty.
Sadly, most of the root beers got low marks. Lots ended up in the BLECH category. Some interesting ones were Rhode Island Molasses Root Beer (thick), Green Tea root beer (um...ew), Faygo (not bad), and A&W root beer float (I think I'm gonna barf).

We only got through 16 root beers and we were all full. It was all the carbonation. Still, that didn't stop the root beer floats from flowing. Ah, root beer. How I love thee. I still have 8 bottles left. ~burp~**Which root beer did I think was the best? Fitz's was pretty darn good, actually. Smooth finish, not to tangy. Overall just great. But my all time hands down favorite it Henry Weinhard's. That is the number one winner for me. That stuff just makes me happy.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

I love me some root beer. That sounds like a really fun party!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:22:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I LOOOOOOVE Root Beer. I'm strictly A & W though.

What a thoughtful gift!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:14:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

I too love Root Beer. I also love the glass!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Annika said...

Have you been to Galco's? That place is like the state fair of root beer.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Sara said...

I love root beer, too! It's the only soda that I break the "No Soda" rule for me and the kids.

So, which ones did you like the BEST? You gave us a short rundown on the blechs, so now we need your considered opinion of the good ones!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:40:00 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I hate root beer--the smell and the taste. Blech!

Can I still be your friend though?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

Ugh, I'm not a root beer girl.

Josh likes it very much, though, and he maintains that all of the indy ones are either REALLY good or (more likely) REALLY bad.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

We'll have to do a root beer run to Galco's. Between the two of us, E and I have tasted quite a few of the brands they have. On a different, but similar note, we just found a cream soda there that is superkalifragilistic! I don't know if you also like that though.

I loved your root beer cupcakes, as did Little Guy, one of my dogs.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Missy said...

What did you think of the Fitz's? That's made here in my hometown of St. Louis, and I love going to the original restaurant to get the root beer "on tap."

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I'm with Missy - dying to know how you liked Fitz's. It's the only root beer I've ever liked, and I miss being able to go to the restaurant or buy it from the store - I have to order it online if I want any here in Texas.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Our Man Horn said...

Several years ago I found the results of a root beer survey. Faygo's Old Fashioned Root Beer (in a glass bottle) came in at #2, behind Sioux City Sasparilla.

Detroit's pride and joy Faygo is my favorite, but then I grew up on the stuff having spent my first 10 years in Michigan.

Henry Weinhard's root beer (and cream soda and orange cream sodas) is a good substitute, tho. Cheaper, too, since California is WAY out of Faygo's normal distribution range.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:57:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I was going to mention that I didn't mind Faygo either. Pretty good.

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home