Thursday, October 16, 2008

Edina: I mean, you've given up drinking before.
Patsy: Worst eight hours of my life.

I do my best to remember all the things that my friends like so that someday I can surprise them with gifts. Like the carrot cake cookies, the pumpkin hamster cupcakes, etc.

My memory bank tells me this. Paul like Ovaltine, Godzilla and balls. Potato balls from Porto's that is. While I can't mail out potato balls, I can do something tricky with Ovaltine. Since this birthday gift had to be mailed, I couldn't do cupcakes, but I thought brownies would be sturdy enough to handle the trip.

I have never had Ovaltine. I get that it's a malted milk type thing, but that never appealed to me either. I assume it's like Horlicks, which is another malted milk product. It's weird cause love malt balls, but never felt the need to have it in a drink.

Since I've baked with malt before, I thought I'd just approach this the same way. I doctored up a brownie recipe, and added some Ovaltine. If you ask me, there wasn't much Ovaltine taste, but for a brownie, I'd say it worked out fine. I bet it'd taste GREAT with a tall glass of...Ovaltine. Just ask Godzilla.Ovaltine Brownies recipe, here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Our Man Horn said...

With Godzilla as scale, those are some GD HUGE brownies!

In 1995 I did a 3-page graphic obit on Godzilla, including a cut-away of the suit, the "height weight etc." field guide to Godzilla, etc. The day it ran, a photo editor said to me, "So Godzilla was a guy in a suit?!? Dayum! Where'd they find a guy 400 feet tall?"

Can't wait to try them! You're awesome.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I've never had Ovaltine either, but in high school, my now husband and I would go to Chili's and he swears they make their chocolate shakes with Ovaltine.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I never had Ovaltine before until Paul and he swears by it.

I think it's the malted goodness that causes Godzilla to throw up fire from his mouth.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Ovaltine is my favorite but I've never had any of that malted nonsense. The "Rich Chocolate Ovaltine" is just chocolate milk.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home