Monday, October 27, 2008

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen. I am the walrus

Some people really hate eggplant. I don't get it, then again I inexplicably hate bananas, so go on haters. Eggplants are really verstile, you can make them many different ways, AND there are so many varieties. Who knew?
At a recent trip to the Farmer's Market there was a table filled with them, labeled: "American eggplant. Japanese eggplant. Chinese eggplant. Italian eggplant." I opted for the Italian, because I had a hankering for some eggplant parmigiana. I figured it'd be a good way to introduce eggplant to the kids, and really, who wouldn't try anything covered in cheese?

I decided that instead of regular singular pieces of eggplant parm, I'd layer it in a small casserole. Damn do I love me some Le Crueset. Have I told you how much I love it? Too much. There is a Le Creuset outlet at the Citadel, and I do my best to stay away for fear of losing my life savings.
This small 16oz dish proved to be the perfect size for two eggplants. The kids actually tried it and liked it, which was great. I try to introduce new foods whenever I can. I find that showing them the item at the market, then the process of getting it to the table, makes them a lot more interested in the food.

I think the Kid was disappointed that there was no 'egg' in the eggplant. He also keeps asking me why they are called 'ham'burgers, when there is no ham. What can I say, language is stupid. Just wait til he finds out there no 'apple' in a pineapple.

Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
recipe.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Who could hate eggplant when it is the vehicle for breading, cheese, and tomato sauce? What's to not like? mmmmm and I love cooking it casserole style.

My mom also has a Le Creuset addiction. I'll make sure to keep her away from the Citadel.

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

that is so close to my mom's recipe. that is some of the best stuff on earth.

Monday, October 27, 2008 2:52:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

Ah, but also no "pine."

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Jenifer said...

Jenn, I have a Le Creuset addiction. In three years I've amassed twenty + pieces. Most of them gifts and some from the Houston outlet.

Le Creuset is my crack and I never want to go to rehab.

If you want to see some of my addiction, I've posted about it on my blog or my flickr account: Nutcase101.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I've only had eggplant once--about a year ago at a Thai restaurant-- and it was good. I think the "egg" in the name scares me off.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Hmm, now if my mom made eggplant the way YOU make eggplant for your kids, I think I would have loved it. And maybe she bought the most crappiest variety in Hawaii and not the fancy ones now available at the local farmer's market. But I got really valid reasons from my childhood to hate on it; you would too if you had it the way I had it!

With that said, I am aware of your cooking powers and I believe that they could work on me. I'd attempt a bite of what you just pictured here. I just gotta say, it looks delicious! AND, you'd be happy to know, my co-worker made me eat a Chinese take out version doused in sauce just the other day and I liked it! *minus the slight-slimyness* (Not to mention the eggplant parm you had me try in college which I did like.) Wait a minute, what is this? You gals both conspiring to get me converted?!

so maybe, just maybe there's hope. I'll try your recipe along with my ratatouille with a new eggplant attitude soon. You may just convert me afterall.

...end of long a** post...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home