Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lane Myer: She only speaks French, Roy. She doesn't speak imbecile.

I need to take a break from these birthday posts to tell you, I'm not an idiot. I realize that this may come as a shock to some of you, but it's true.

I followed Martha Stewart's advice (pimping) and finally looked through that stupid 'Valupak' trash mail that comes in the mail. There are valuable usable coupons inside! Whatever, Martha. So I took a look and saw an ad for duct cleaning, and realized I hadn't cleaned my ducts in...8 years. Gross, I know, but I rarely use my heater since this is Southern California, after all, it can only get so cold.

Plus I saw that Flipping Out when Jeff Lewis opened up the duct work and there was rat feces just blowing in the baby's room. That scared the crap out of me. So I went ahead and scheduled a with coupon $45 duct cleaning. No biggie, right?

First sign I was in trouble, the guy rescheduled the day. Fine. Second sign? They called me at noon to say they were down the street, hello - my appointment wasn't until 3pm. Ugh. So I raced home from work to let them in. Then when the guy got here he proceeded to hit on me - I have no time for that crap, just clean my ducts, and I don't mean literally.

They hooked up some sort of machine that supposedly vacuums out the crap. Of course, they turn out to be total con artists, sitting me down and telling me things are SO wrong. And that it will cost me $1800 to fix, and it had to be done. He showed me the dirt. I've seen worse. He said my ducts were in bad shape. They aren't. Then he drew a diagram. I don't need a diagram to tell me that I am being scammed. I lay out ductwork with engineers everyday, I know how air systems and plenums work. They would not take no for an answer. THEN he started saying weird crap like, 'So you live here alone? You have kids, can I see their pictures?" That's it. Get out.

I basically paid them $40 to get the hell out and had to shove them out the door. Moral of the story - Martha Stewart owes me $40.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ugh! Nightmare.

I love Jeff Lewis. "I counted 45 feces. 45!" haha

I'm heard the same thing with carpet cleaners.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Annika said...

gah. Did they train as car mechanics first? That sounds exactly like going to Jiffy Lube. Lube Job, Duct Cleaning - both sound like fun but really aren't.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:08:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

Pay up MARTHA!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Creepy! Vendors are always trying to take you for a ride. Apparently they didn't know who they were dealing with.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

oh no!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger flurogoddess said...

Nasty - drop her a line, she should do a segment on her show about the sleazy people they endorse ;-)

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:43:00 AM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Shit, I need my ducts cleaned too!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Jazmin said...

this is a funny post.. not funny that they are trying to scam you though..

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Renee said...

Do not fall for the carpet cleaning coupons, either. Same thing - bait and switch.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

that's just creepy. I would file a complaint at BBB.

Friday, October 17, 2008 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Through My Lens said...

OMG. He hit on you on top of all the scamming!? Definitely report them to the Better Business Bureau!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Definitely call the BBB. Some states require contractors to be licensed so if your state is one of them, call the licensing department and complain. People like that deserve to be put out of business.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home