Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rhymes with orange.

Baked goods for birthday gifts continues...

Fact. The earth is round. Jodi loves hamsters. So it was kind of a no brainer when it came to these cupcakes. She makes cute little hammies (as the Kid calls them) in balls.

She also loves orange. And pumpkin. Luckily right now the season is perfect for such things. I made a batch of my pumpkin cupcakes, which she declared the 'best ever,' (positive feedback is what keeps me going here, folks) but I think she was just high on pumpkin. I added a dollop of the chocolate spreads that I bought for the kids to top it off, much like the Snoopy cupcakes.

I busted out the fondant only to realize that I had very little left. So I improvised and made just a few hamsters and spelled out her name with the rest. Since she has a Hamtaro hat - apparently she just turned 12 - I thought Hamtaro would look great in fondant.

Man, I thought this would be a cinch. The Kid and I drew pictures of him for days to get the hang of it, but in fondant form, it just didn't work out quite right. However it was close enough for her to recognize the character when she opened the box. Whew.

I tried to convince the Kid that these hamster cupcakes were in fact HAMSTER FLAVORED. He didn't fall for it.
Fondant Hamtaro how to, here.
*note: This how-to kind of sucks. I made these at 4 in the morning cause I couldn't sleep, but it was still dark out so there was no light for quality photos. Still, I think you get the gist of it.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Best.birthday dessert. ever! I didn't do a very good job of sharing and E only got one of them! I think they turned out just adorable and now I have the Hamtaro theme song (yes, there is one!) in my head.

*It's Hamtaro time! Hamtaro! Little hamsters, big adventures...*

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:22:00 PM  
Blogger Through My Lens said...

Soooo cute!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home