Sunday, October 12, 2008

Well we all shine on , like the moon and the stars and the sun

Pasadena is one of my favorite places. I used to live there - I loved the restaurants and the culture, a lot of my friends lived in historic craftsman homes, there was just so much to do. However, I did not love the 100+ weather, so I hightailed it out of there. I have been wanting to go back for some time. Too bad I refuse to go anywhere where it's over 73 degrees. I'll wait until the fall, thanks.

Since October is here, my 'Adventure in Pasadena' for the kids, can finally come true. It's not your traditional, go to the flea market, hang out in Old Town kinda Pasadena trip, no I had a specific things in mind. I took my mom with me because there was no way I could wrangle two kids on my own all the way out there and not lose my mind.

I am a huge fan of conceptual/performance art. It can be freaky and weird, but I find the creativity very inspiring. Love her or hate her, Yoko Ono's message of peace is important, especially these days. Currently she has an installation out on One Colorado called 'Wish Trees for Pasadena'. She took these crape myrtle trees, and people can write their 'wishes' on pieces of paper and tie them to a tree. I'm glad I waited for cooler weather, because now the trees are almost full of wishes.There are of course, superficial ones, "I wish for more money," "I wish for the Dodgers to win the series". But there are some that are heartbreaking. "I wish my mother would get help," "I wish John loved me more." It's honestly quite stunning.

It was important to me that the boys saw this. I want them to experience art in everyday life. They told me their wishes and I wrote them down. At 4 and 2 years old, you never know what to expect, the Kid's first thought was "I wish I had more cheese." Ok, ew. But I can't help but laugh when I think of strangers who visit the Wish Trees and stumble upon the Baby's wish: "I wish dinosaurs ruled the earth." I hope your wish comes true, Baby.
More of my Wish Tree pictures here
More Wish Tree info on video

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

I love this idea for many of the same reasons I love Post Secret.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Laurenn said...

Wow, these are so cool! I envy you the ability to go see them - stuff like this never happens in Vegas!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:18:00 PM  
Blogger dee-ah-nah said...

We love Pasadena and refuse to leave, despite the skyrocketing real estate and 100+ deg weather.
These last few days of cool weather have been heaven...

Monday, October 13, 2008 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

I loved this post! These trees were so interesting and I love her idea to do it. Your kids are lucky to have a mother who gives them this kind of opportunity. Lucky, lucky kids. Thanks for letting us see the trees through your blog!

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh how I would love to sit and read everybody's wish!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home