Sunday, November 23, 2008

Clipper Nation

I try to take my kids to EVERY cultural opportunity that this city has to offer. I know I keep saying it, but there is so much to do in Los Angeles, I don't know how you can stay home. To live here and not take full advantage is just a sad missed opportunity.

So when Premium Seat Clippers tickets fell into my hands for free, off we went to experience sports in the big arena. The only thing better than premium seats is a private box, but those cost a year's salary+. The level is decked out like a hotel with private card keys to get to your fully furnished rooms.
Premium seats are just under those private boxes, they have the same great view and you get your own waiter to bring you food. Pretty amazing, although I've never utilized that option. I like to go stand in line and see all the food pass in front of me so I can see it with my own two eyes. This particular day they had caramel apples. YUM.
The kids weren't really interested in the game, of course. That is until they saw their own faces on the jumbo tron. The Baby was dancing like there was no tomorrow (Clippers games have their own DJ during time outs) and like all fools, when we saw ourselves on the screen we stopped and pointed and stared. Lame. The Baby starting screaming "DID YOU SEE ME? DID YOU SEE ME UP THERE??" Pretty hilarious.

Once the sugar high of the arena food wore off, the kids got restless fast. I took them down to the Laker store, which for our game was a Clippers store, which they were turning over to a Kings store, since there was a hockey game that very night after our game. It's all very complicated but 4 Los Angeles professional teams share the Staples Center, and their coordination of it all is pretty outstanding.
As per the usual - right as we were about to go back to our seats the Baby announced (loudly) in the store that he had to POOP. Great. So off we went to the bathrooms. Not a big deal until the Kid announced that he too had to POOP. Good lord. It was a fight for the toilet. Let me tell you, coordinating two pooping kids in a public bathroom stall is no easy task. Especially when the Baby is yelling, "MOMMY I SEE YO PEANUTS." (His word for penis, if you remember.)

It's hard to tell the kids to hold it when really, when you gotta go, you gotta go. Luckily it all worked out - but I ended up spending so much time with the dual poopers that when we finally got out and washed hands and all that jazz...the game was over. People were streaming out to their cars...we had missed most of the game.

All in all the kids had a good time and if you took anything away from this, let it be that the Staples Center has wonderfully large, clean, excellent bathrooms. Also, if you are next to a kid yelling about his peanuts, it's us. Hi. Nice to meet you.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

People stay home here? Really? Because that is just sad. I certainly couldn't imagine doing that.

I don't like to watch sporting events when I go either. BOR-ING. But, if I do have to poop, I promise to not announce it out loud.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:43:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

GOOD GOD. What did the kids eat that made them want to do number 2 immediately? Or was it the excitement of seeing themselves on the jumbo tron?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

I'm laughing because my kid totally has a peanut...

Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I would have loved to have seen them on the Jumbotron!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:57:00 PM  
Anonymous cc said...

At least they had nice clean bathrooms. :)

Once I had to put one of SuperChic's diapers on a fully potty trained Rapunzel because she wouldn't use a porta-potty. Not that I blamed her.

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home