Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dream of better lives the kind which never hate, dropped in the state of imaginary grace

The Kid loves grilled cheese. Obviously - because there's no meat in it whatsoever. The Baby won't touch the stuff. So when I heard that there was a grilled cheese sandwich restaurant...well, I had to try it out.

Lately Los Angeles has been jumping on the one hit wonder restaurant bandwagon, that is - a store that specializes in one thing. I don't know how stores like that can survive here, in New York, where it's more popular, I can see it. But here, eh. So I always try and go to these things tout de suite, for fear that they will close down before I get my chance.

Meltdown is in downtown Culver City, an area which is THE place for great restaurants right now. I took the kids on a Saturday, after a quick run to Surfas of course, which is down the way. The Kid ordered - what else - grilled cheese 'junior sized'. I got the Italian Deli, which the Baby ate most of since he found out there was meat in it.

The sandwiches were REALLY good. And sitting outside on a warm November day was lovely. Yes, I realize it's snowing elsewhere, but this is how we roll out here. The best thing? Homemade pickles. I am a sucker for pickles/cucumbers and these things were YUM. The kids ate up everything. p.s. they had Mexican Coke. Awesome. I'm all over that. Or as Jodi says, "Yay for drinking lead."My one issue with this place is the hours, they are few and far between. Perhaps being open for a limited time during the day works for them, but for the schedule that I've got my kids on, it's hard to work out.

It wasn't really a destination restaurant, but if I was strolling the neighborhood, I'd definitely stop by again. They also have 'sweet melt' sandwiches - aka PB&J - as well as soup. You know, for those cold winter days...seeing as how next week is Thanksgiving and we are wearing shorts here in L.A.? I don't see those cold days coming...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Annika said...

I kind of wish I had any reason to be in Culver City ever, because I do loooove me some grilled cheese.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:36:00 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Those sandwiches look great. I wish I could remember what a warm day was like... it feels like those days were so long ago.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Been there once and LOVED it. Was gonna go again with my co-workers but I popped out a kid before we had a chance.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:04:00 AM  
Blogger deanna said...

We have one here in Cleveland called Melt Bar and Grilled. Ha ha get it? The food is amazing though. Their famous sandwich is a grilled cheese with a perogi inside. Gotta love carb on carb.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Eli said...

This can't succeed as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I believe.
white topaz | reception dresses | business casual women

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home