Monday, November 24, 2008

Give 'em the bird.

My mom has decided to go against her well known and well followed turkey brine recipe and try something new from the L.A. Times. I'm banking on my family rioting, led by my brother throwing the table over and declaring it the worst Thanksgiving ever. But. You know. We take our turkey seriously around here.

Still, not everyone in the family loves turkey. Well, just three people, really. O.G. hates turkey. Anything with wings really. Does that mean she hates airplanes? Hm. I'm lucky if I can get the Kid to eat any meat at all. Meanwhile I asked the Baby what he wanted for Thanksgiving and he said POKE. (Meaning pork of course, he's not keen on enunciation.) "Please mommy, I wan poke."

Ever since the Baby got out of diapers, I realized it's saved me about $30+ a month. That's a ton of cash considering he was in diapers for 2.5 years. Still, I feel broke and I'm wondering where the money that I used to spend on diapers, is going...? Then I realized. Pork. The Baby loves pork. He cannot get enough. He even does a POKE DANCE just in case you aren't sure how much he really loves the stuff.

If you are like me and have family members who hate birds - I hate birds but I don't mind eating them - then this recipe might be good for your holiday meal, Sweet Spiced Pork Loin. It only takes 20 minutes and the little porkers in your life will be satisfied. But ask them to do a POKE DANCE for you first to make them work for their meal.Sweet Spiced Pork Loin recipe

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lilcee said...

Please, please post a video of the Baby doing the POKE dance. It'll be awesome I'm sure.

I tried to convince my mom this year to purchase our turkey from Boston Market. but she put her foot down and voted that I be doing the turkey this year since our family has expanded to non Asians. oh joy. Every year they did a soy sauce turkey. I guess the Chinese version of brining.

So now I'm on the lookout for a great recipe since last year I tried the Whole Foods brining pkg and that ended up being really salty. I'll definitely try your recipe. Thanks.

Monday, November 24, 2008 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger APlanet4Creation said...

My youngest LOVES pork too. Her favorite, BACON!!

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I usually get the pork at our Thanksgiving dinner at The Blue Bayou--when we manage to get a reservation, which we did this year! However, I don't think I will this year as I've discovered The Best Pork Chop I've Ever Had at the Granville Cafe.

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:30:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Are you sure he doesn't mean "po-keh"? You know his dad does have Hawaii roots?

Mmm tako poke sounds good right about now.

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I will have to try that pork loin recipe. Your recipes are really good - and very easy. (Among other things) I made the pulled pork sandwiches and the burger bites for my son's bday party this past weekend, and they were a hit! Thanks!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:54:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Pork is a lot cheaper than chicken or turkey around here...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:47:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

My family would riot too if there was any deviation from our traditional Turkey meal.

The pork recipe looks delicious (as do ALL of your recipes), but yeah... video of the POKE DANCE would be awesome.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger msdina said...

yeah not big on birds but i do like to eat them. YUM! and it's just wrong in my book if there is no turkey on Thanksgiving. I have requested 2 to be made, one for eating and tearing apart, and one for tearing apart at the end of the night for sammiches the next day YUM!

oh and yes I thought at first he was talking about po-kay! kim chee tako poke. ahi shoyu poke. FTW!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home