Sunday, November 09, 2008

I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray

Well the Baby's party went off without a hitch. Everyone was full. All the kids were happy. And my house is filled with even MORE dinos than before. There were only FOUR other kids there, but damn the sound level was driving me insane. I am worried because the Kid has asked for a school party for his birthday (as opposed to our family parties) meaning he wants to invite all his classmates, which means 20+ kids. Uh...please. No.

On the menu - meat. The Baby is a carnivore, pure and simple. If this was the Kid's party it'd probably be a vegetarian buffet, but you know. Here's what I made:

BBQ ribs
Root Beer Pulled Pork
Chicken Chili
Fried Chicken Salad
O.G.'s famous Gulliver's corn
Fruit Salad
Spam Musubi
Mini Sweet Cornbread muffins
chips+veggies+dipI seemed to forgot to tell myself that I invited less people this year, and the food was way over the top. But I think everyone liked it, a lot of it was gone by the end of the day. Better to have too much, if you ask me.

As opposed to my other parties, the approach to this one was: minimal 'day of the party' work for me. I planned it so that I didn't have to do a lot of prep - the chili was quick, the ribs were in the oven for 3 hours, and the pulled pork was in the crock pot all day. I didn't even feel like making cupcakes so...I left it to the kids:I made a bunch of cupcakes, and let them go at it with the decor. I bought those horrible pre-made icing writers from the store, I am anti-those usually, but I knew it'd be easy and great for the kids. Compromise, people. That plus the sprinkles that I put in the spice rack, and they went nuts. It was fun to see.

While I did everything to free up my time and give me minimal stress, what did I do with all that saved time? Well, an over the top birthday cake of course...

For ALL the recipes, go here!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Ku said...

WOW! How do you get this all done? You really are quite an inspiration. I hope I can make my son's parties as good. You've got a pair of lucky kids. :]

Happy Birthday to your baby!

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:58:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So glad it went well! I can't imagine it going otherwise!

P.S. I that mochi? Yum...almost went to the mochi store yesterday when I was downtown, but didn't have time.

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:52:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

Awesome. I cannot wait to see the over the top birthday cake...you are going to share that I hope.

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Ku said...

I wish they had a mochi store here. I make mine in the microwave. O.o

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

Happy Birthday to the Baby!

Please oh please post pics of the godzilla cake.

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:43:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

I hate to admit I can eat one of those stupid little tubes of frosting. especially yellow for some reason. LOVE the Godzilla cake. kudos to youdos.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home