Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kudos my hero leaving all the best
You know my hero, the one that’s on

You know on 30 Rock when Liz Lemon smells Oprah's hair and just wants to be in her presence? Yeah...that's how I am about Martha Stewart. Not in a stalker-y way, but I adore her. We both do crafts. We both make cupcakes. We've both been in prison. Wait.

I respect someone who has built an empire on clean sheets and homemade pie. That's amazing. And so, on Monday, a dream was fulfilled and I got to meet...the woman herself.She was in town to promote and sign her new book Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook. Which quite honestly, is a great book for learning basic cooking techniques with wonderful step by step pictures, much like Everyday Food magazine. Coolbeans and I headed over there early and we were near the front of the line. Which is stupid since other people had been waiting since 3am. Suckas. The line QUICKLY filled in and in no time there were hundreds behind us.

The wait was quick despite the crazy, I mean CRAYZAY fans in line. The funniest part was when we were joking about what would be on her rider of what she MUST have at the signing. Just as we were talking about it, the store manager came up frantic because someone had moved the chair at the table. Apparently they had bought the chair especially for her, she had specified that it had to be made of 'hard wood.' Hilarious.The store was really disorganized but it worked in our favor and in the end, we wound up being FIRST in line. I was cracking up. I have good luck, I told you. Before we knew it, she had arrived. The papparazzi went nuts. It was surreal that she was right there, standing just 5 feet in front of us. You know how some people look nothing like how they do on tv? There's no mistaking that this was indeed the one and only Martha Stewart. She walks talks, is exactly like she is on tv.
When Coolbeans stepped up, it was complete chaos and the bookstore staff got even more crazed and were bending the books to get them signed quicker. Right then Martha reprimanded the staff for thrashing the books and then gave Cool Beans the 'can you believe these people?' eyeroll. Yay for a very Martha moment.

Things were crazy disorganized like I said, which probably drove her nuts, I know it drove me crazy - and I ended up standing in front of her much longer than I had expected. We had a decent conversation, I told her how I cooked for my kids and even had the nerve to show her my cupcakes postcard (email me your address and you'll get one). Yes, I had the balls to show the Queen of all 'Good Things' my stuff, but I took a chance and she actually said they were cute and she asked if she could keep the postcard! HELL YES. Even if it ends up in the trash can, it was nice of her to ask. It totally made my day. I was thrilled that I got to talk to her and finally meet her in person. Yay for good things.

More pics, here.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Anonymous Posh Mama said...

That is awesome and I love that she has your postcard. You are a great writer. Will definitely come back to visit.

Much love, xoxo-pm

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Annika said...

So envious. Also, I want cupcakes now.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:50:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

That's so great. Maybe she'll invite you to be on her show! You know how she does that, right? Way to go!

I would have completely froze and said nothing in your shoes. I can't believe you had a whole conversation with her. I am lame in celebrity situations.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

So freaking cool!! And seriously?! B&N was all kinds of unorganized when I went to the Amy Sedaris signing at the Grove.

And cool that she kept your postcard! She'll probably add your blog to her Google Reader! Woo! OMG, what if she invites you to her show?!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger bonnindesigns said...

I've been waiting all day for this blog post and you did not disappoint. Yay you!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Martha is totally gonna jack your cupcake postcard idea. ;)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:07:00 PM  
Blogger Keely said...

I might need to get that cookbook so I can try to be better in the kitchen. :) I'm glad you got to meet her!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:20:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

Okay, now I really hate you.

Don't forget to get me some tickets when Martha asks you to demonstrate your cupcakes on the show.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

Yay! And ff she has any sense at all, she'll google you and make you a Good Thing in the magazine OR better yet, have you on the show!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:58:00 AM  
Blogger Jesser said...

That.Is.AWESOME. Thanks for sharing. She's one of the few people who I'd bother going to see.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:41:00 AM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

I'm so sad...she was here yesterday and the fates would not allow me to go.

Then last night, a friend of mine was at the mall perusing Michael's and Martha just shows up!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

In one photo, it looks like she's looking directly at you.

BTW: My word verification is divias. Is it that a new word for Martha Stewart?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:03:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

How exciting! When she has you on the show, you must let us all know. I will use a vacay day from work to see you on Martha! Go Jenn! I'm off to e-mail you my address, I have to have a postcard now, so when she rips your idea, I have proof it was yours first!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:40:00 AM  
Blogger La Pixie said...

first, how awesome is it to meet Martha Stewart!!

second, you had the balls to give her your postcard! I love that.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Have you checked to see if you're on some of those pictures? Wouldn't you love to be in some tabloid with Martha Stewart? :P

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger CageQueen said...

I, too, ADORE her and worship her as the domestic goddess she is!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

or, who knows... maybe we'll be watching you on the Martha show in a few weeks! :)

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger a n n e said...

Awesome - here's hoping big "good" things come your way!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Martha show your postcard on TV!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:09:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Thanks again for one of the greatest moments ever! My mom's jealous and everyone at work is now wishing they too took the day off.

If anyone denies your 'good luck' - you be sure to point them my way. There was no way in a million years that I thought we'd ever be first in line to see The Martha. Awesome experience! and I love how you narrated the reprimanding of the B&N Staff - that was a total classic Martha Moment. =)

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger dee-ah-nah said...

OMG! Jealous! We slept in and totally missed the signing. Sucks to be us. :(

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

I soooo wanted to go to this. I am now 3x jealous. And you got to talk to her! If it was me, I would muster, "I love u." and security would have to haul me away.

You are one lucky beyotch.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

lucky you! i'm jealous!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

i waited 3 hours in line to meet martha at the borders in chicago when she was promoting her baking handbook. this was the year that she just got out of prison, but was the NICEST person - she made it a point to try to talk to everyone a little bit since we all waited so long to see her. when she got to me, all i could tell her is that i admire her and i'm so excited to meet her. she asked me if i bake and when i replied yes, she said that i must have good taste since i picked up her book. I LOVE MARTHA! :)

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home