Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Raiders of the lost ark.

My kids are museum veterans. I try to take them to as many different types as possible and here in L.A. we have a diverse number at our fingertips. Many of the museums are multi-cultural which I think is important for kids to learn about at a young age.

The Skirball is a Jewish Cultural Center in Los Angeles. The Noah's Ark exhibition had been going on for some time, and I've been dying to take the kids there, but just couldn't seem to fit it in. Finally they announced that the 8000 sq ft. exhibit was permanent, and that is a fantastic thing for me schedule wise.Once we finally got there, it did not disappoint. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the art, the interactivity and just the sheer freedom it gave the kids - was everything that I always hope for in a museum visit.

It teaches kids about creative recycling, but more than that, I felt like it taught them how to connect, build and interact. The animals were stunning, and the incredible thoughtfulness that went into this exhibition was fabulous. There was a climbing section, and art section, a science section, it was all inclusive.And since the visits are timed, well, you still have to deal with other people's annoying children, but not all at once. And that is a good thing, speaking as a mother of my very own annoying children. However I stand by the fact that my kids are way more well behaved than others, since some parents seem to just let their awful kids loose on the rest of us. Don't make me go off on a rant about that. My children are NOT allowed to act terrible in public, they know that I'll take them straight home, I ain't playin'.

It's an amazing exhibit that I highly recommend - even if you don't have kids. Also the grounds of the Skirball are just beautiful. O.G. thought we were going to the Screwball Museum. What the heck? What kind of museum would that be exactly, an ode to the Three Stooges?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I've always wondered what was at the Skirball Center...

Cool!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

The Skirball consistently has great exhibits, and it's an awesome venue for parties as well.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Ooh. I might have to make a field trip up to LA to see that Noah's Ark exhibit! Thanks for the tip.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

The Skirball also has fantastic, FREE!, outdoor music events in the summer.

P.S. Was the exhibit super religious?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger L.A. Story said...

This looks amazing! Can't wait to go! ... and, on another note, love your banner. Makes me hungry yet terrified of sugar shock. :)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home