Thursday, November 20, 2008

Saffie: I take it you want a chocolate croissant then?
Eddie: "Pain au chocolat", we call it in this house, darling.

Dude, I am not feeling well. I am trying deseperately to get over something, I don't know what, but I am trying to avoid what looks to be the flu. So I'm going to make this short and...sweeeeet. Haha.There are certain things I WON'T make. That is, things that are my favorite. Lemon Meringue Pie macarons, chocolate croissants, etc. It may seem contrary, but I'd rather buy something that I love than attempt it myself. I just figure I'd rather pay a professional baker to get the real stuff. So when I saw these 'make at home' chocolate croissants at Trader Joe's I thought, 'Well this is going to be crap.' Yes even in silent conversations, I have a potty mouth.
The cashier said, "No, you'll love these, they are the BEST." Hm. Fine. I took them home and it says to leave them out on a baking sheet ALL NIGHT. Do these people not realize the complete and total food bacteria phobia I have? Yet I don't use a papertowel to open restroom doors. Huh. I'm an enigma.It was kind of super amazing how they puffed up overnight. I put them in the oven for just 30 mins and they came out golden and flaky and perfect. But how did they taste?
Well. I don't have a picture of the insides because...I ate them all. Not all in one sitting don't be crazy. All in one day. sigh. Now that's crazy. One reason I won't make croissants is because I KNOW how much butter goes into it, andit's disgusting. Sure I'll eat it - but I don't want to be a part of it. These were FANTASTIC, for only $3.99! Like a little butter dream. What I imagine Paula Deen's bedding to be made out of...

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Man those look good. I live in the wasteland known as middle America, my nearest Joe's is oh about 900 mi away. I guess I'll never know their fluffy goodness.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I am SO stopping at TJ's on the way home from work tonight and if they do not have these I will throw myself in the aisle and throw a tantrum.

And yes, you are an enigma. ;-)

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

I had a box of these in my basket last week! Then I looked at the fat content and put them back. Now I wish I bought them.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

OMG. Those things are fantastic. I just don't like the overnight poufing. When I take them out i want to bake and eat them now.

I occasionally go to Europane for chocolate croissants on a whim. So yum.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love these too, but I also hate waiting for the overnight aspect.

In fact, I just proofed them in a 100 degree oven for a couple hours, then baked them. Shhh don't tell.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

These petits pain au chocolate should be a fairly decent approximation and are super easy. Come on, you know you can swing three ingredients.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Ooh. I am definitely picking a box of these up when I am at TJ's today! The only bad part is that you have to wait overnight before you can make them. Hmm, maybe I'll stop at the bakery on the way home and buy a chocolate croissant.

Thanks for the tip!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

I've been eying these for months, but was not sure how good they would actually be. Now that I know they passed your test, I'm buying some, damn it. I just might have to use Sarah's secret tip!

I hope you feel better and don't get a full blown flu.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger CageQueen said...

I first tried these about six months ago and have been hooked ever since. The plain ones are pretty darn good, too.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger La Pixie said...

okay... I really want to try those now!!

I loved that Paula Deen comment. HA

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I WANT! I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Oh no! Now you're in trouble!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:27:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

they're on the list. I've wondered.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:35:00 PM  
Blogger Lissete said...

We don't have a Trader Joe's here :(

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Keely said...

oh, no! Chocolate croissants are my favorite - this news is very dangerous to me. I'm so buying some tomorrow.

Friday, November 21, 2008 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger msdina said...

omg! those look awesome! i'm not big on chocolate though and would prefer a fruit filling of some sort. if you didn't like them you could've just brought 'em back and told TJ's and got your money back! I love that about them!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home