Monday, November 10, 2008

Tracy: I do not want to disappoint our Japanese public, especially Godzilla. Hahaha! I'm just kidding, I know he doesn't care what humans do.

"A Godzilla cake, huh?" Is how I answered the Baby's request. Did that mean a cake in the shape of Godzilla? Stocking up on green food coloring? Whatever, I had scary visions of being featured on cake wrecks, which would be all bad.

Then I thought, well, what if I took a Godzilla doll...but had him surrounded by a city of...cake? Genius! Well, not really, but I thought maybe all those years of building architectural models might be able to help me out. I am much more comfortable building buildings than large fire breathing monsters.
Like my day job, I started out by drawing up a plan to get an idea of the shape I wanted, the size, etc. Then, like the Peter Pan cake from the Kid's birthday - structure wise, I made up two batches of solid cake, stacked and frosted, then set about to building. The form came about quickly, bringing it to life was another story.I wanted to keep it cartoony and not so realistic. Chocolate fondant made all the buildings the same color, then I dyed some gray and yellow to just quickly get some variance in the building details themselves.

In the middle of it I was like, why the hell did I agree to do this? Especially since the idea was to NOT do so much work. Ah, the things you will do for the love of your child. Stupid things.At the end of it all, the Baby looked at it and said, "YAY. WHEN DUZ HE SMASH IT ALL?" Oh. I realized that I had just built an architectural model. Not so much "Godzilla destroys the city" as "Godzilla goes out for a leisurely stroll to see the sights." Too bad. I figured once the cake was eaten, then it'd look like there was some damage done. I just couldn't bring myself to build a bad structural building.

In the end, the Baby got his wish, and the city was destroyed - not by Godzilla, but by hungry party guests. Still, I'm pretty sure that Godzilla got to vent his frustrations a little too. Cake - better than anger management. Godzilla cake how-to, here.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Our Man Horn said...

GREE-AAAGHHHrrrnttt!!*


*translated from Japanese

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Annika said...

So it's kind of a Godzilla Just Before He gets Mad Cake.

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

You are one hell of a cake baker, among other things. That's a great cake!

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Godzilla looks pissed he didn't get a slice of cake.

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:28:00 PM  
Anonymous myra said...

You are AWESOME.

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger a n n e said...

LOL - that last picture with the knife got me cracking up. Love it.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger mamafabun said...

It's great!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger mamafabun said...

It's great!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Genius.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Keely said...

I wish I could do the things you do. Seriously. You are one awesome lady/mom. :)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

I'm telling you, I hardly ever finish a whole slice of cake, but this one I did! That vanilla recipe you used was awesome - not too sweet so you could eat a lot.

And I LOVE the new blog header - Godzilla is a good rep for rants!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

Great job Jenn! Like many have said here, and before, you are awesome.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Jenn, you're just too awesome!


Family fun magazine is looking for submission for "what makes your house a fun place to live". I thought of you.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:54:00 AM  
OpenID babsinblogland said...

That does it! You hands down the best mom ever!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home