Sunday, December 28, 2008

Edina: 'Inside of me there is a thin person dying to get out!!'
Mother: 'Just the one dear?'

I don't know about you, but my diet for the past three days has consisted solely of mashed potatoes and chocolates. I'm not proud of it, but I sure am content. I feel like I've been on vacation forever, which is a good thing. This forced break is probably just what I needed. As usual when we have time off, I've scheduled fun adventures for the kids almost hourly. My SIL is growing weary already. She said, "No wonder you never answer when I call you, you're never home!" It's true. My goal is always to make every second count with these kids.But let's get back to my poor eating habits. Since we had the triple meat-fest and it seemed like we were just recreating Thanksgiving, I thought I'd bring something different for dessert. This Christmas I obviously didn't take very seriously, as up until the day before, I wasn't quite sure what I'd bring. (Not planning? As you know is not very me.) So I went into my pantry to see what I could come up with on the fly.

Oddly, my first thought was, "what about a bread pudding?" I've actually never been a fan of bread pudding - too soggy - but I thought, what if I can crisp it up a bit? I had eggs, cream, milk, but no bread. I'm brilliant, bread pudding no bread. Duh. Then I looked in the freezer and...voila!

Using the wonderful new chocolate croissant technology courtesy of TJ's, I put together a chocolate croissant bread pudding that was fantastic. The top crisped up nice and the custard-y middle was just right. Then again I probably could have just eaten 8 chopped up chocolate croissants with no custard and no baking whatsoever. Good lord. Someone get me some salad, stat.

Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

This is torture. Delicious torture. My TJs only has the plain croissants. Those fuckers.

Monday, December 29, 2008 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Wah...my TJs doesn't have these, either. I've been diligently searching for them since the first time you mentioned them. Not that I need to eat them...

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:14:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

I would eat that!

the only other bread pudding I'd say that to was at Applebees of all places. so, of course, they took it off the menu.

Monday, December 29, 2008 1:33:00 PM  
Anonymous renee said...

I wanted to thank you so much for putting your recipes online. I just returned from a food blog where she charges $1.00 apiece to get the recipes.

Love your blog and your recipes.

Monday, December 29, 2008 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

that looks amazing.
[running to freezer to put out some chocolate croissants.]

Monday, December 29, 2008 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jen14221 said...

I'll eat bread pudding, any bread pudding, if it's available. I'll even eat bread pudding from the hospital cafeteria. But yours looks wonderful.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home