Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Party over with, out of time.

What am I complaining about? We all know the real party is New Year's Day. That's what I said, DAY, not eve. I don't really celebrate on New Year's Eve, I don't drink anyway - I'm Amish like that.

No, New Year's Day is where it's at. A huge deal in Japanese tradition, Oshogatsu, it's an all day eating fest...for the guests. For me it's days upon days of cooking and planning. My friends look forward to it every year because they don't want to throw their own (like they are supposed to), they just want to come to my house and sit on my couch. I'm fine with that. Here are some pictures of past New Year's day preparations I've made.

2008:
2007:

2006:Quite obviously the menu only varies slightly when you have to stick to certain 'expected' traditional foods, but I always add a whole lotta party food too. At least 20+ dishes or so total. I better get crackin'.

Click on the pics to see what everything is...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

That sounds fun, especially if there is mochi.

I'll be working New Year's Day this year. Boo. Maybe another reason I'm feeling scrooge-y.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

I love how spam musubi and chicken wings are common players on your menu. Yum. The spread looks delish.

Do you have a good chili recipe? Yes I'm already planning for Super Bowl Sunday.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Looking forward to it!!!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home