Monday, December 08, 2008

Under the sea

So the restaurant where I had the best meal in the park? Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure. Now there's a reason I have never been there, it's a special luncheon...WITH PRINCESSES. And seeing as how I have two boys, well, it was just never on my radar.

But I pass it everytime I go, and I've always wanted to try it. However, being a character lunch, you have to make reservations. This time I thought ahead, and thought what the heck, let's try it. It's a seafood themed restaurant, which makes sense since it's on the wharf. And...Ariel's a fish, or something...right?The whole joy of the place is getting to spend time with the Princesses. Belle. Snow White. Jasmine (who I think must do an ab workout video on the side, damn!). And Cinderella. They all come by your table. As you can expect, the boys were NOT having it. Instead, they were focused on the food.

The meal comes with a three tiered antipasto platter for the table to share, which I loved, but then again, I love antipasto anytime. Then you choose your own entree. While the menu was mostly seafood, there were other meat-type offerings, thank goodness for the meat lovers, my cousin and the Baby. I had the redfish which was DELICIOUS. The kid's plates weren't bad either. The Kid was thrilled to eat chicken off of a sugar cane skewer (I need to do that at home) and the Baby's eyes widened at 'meatball lollipops' (again, will try at home). Finally there is a shared dessert platter with lots of chocolate AND white chocolate, thank goodness for the Kid's sake.

While the prices are definitely HIGH, at least I there is an annual pass discount. This is really one of the best 'character' restaurants in the two parks. Not only for the experience, but the food was fantastic. It would be a great place to go once if you had a little girl who loved the Disney Princesses. But with two little pirate boys? Eh, we probably won't be back. As the Baby told Snow White, 'WE DON LIKE GURLS.' Nice.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Daily Randi said...

I always have found the name, "Ariel's Grotto" to be rather interesting. It sounds Dirty!

xoxo,
TDR

Monday, December 08, 2008 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Lawndale Art Classes said...

Hmmm. Ariel's Grotto and Jasmine's Abs what a combo.

Monday, December 08, 2008 6:15:00 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

that's so funny. i can't wait until my son tells me he doesn't like girls.

we went to the character breakfast w/ minnie and friends in disneyland. what a let down. my kids are 1 and 2, so the only one they really recognized was minnie, pooh, and tigger. they both screamed bloody murder when captin hook came over...

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:16:00 AM  
Blogger Keely said...

At just eighteen months, I'm sure Zoe would love this place. Already she sings along with Ariel whenever the mood strikes her. Might be the reason for my recent analyzing of the mermaid. Told my husband, she is a BAD example for a girl. I'm looking forward to my little pirate coming soon and evening things out a bit. :)

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:07:00 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

I would have gone here if I had my little girl with me on this trip but I only had my big 20 year old and she insisted on going to Goofys Kitchen because it was the only thing she really remembered about her first trip when she was six.
Belle asked us if we were sisters so that alone was worth the hefty price tag lol.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home