Monday, December 22, 2008

The weather outside is frightful

By all accounts I should hate Christmas. It feels especially grinch-y this year. Perhaps it's my horrible job where people are found crying at their desks on the regular. Loud sobbing certainly puts a damper on 'holiday cheer' let me tell you. Or maybe it's the stormy freezing Los Angeles weather. The streets are flooded, people have high anxiety from the traffic. Just ask Hilary. Yeesh. Or maybe it's because I give out lots of gifts, it's not about the amount of money I spend, but it seems like all the gifts are being met with an "Eh" or no response at all. I take a lot of time and effort thinking about things that would really make people happy. Not that I want a gift back, but if it's the thought that counts, then damn, no acknowledgement whatsoever means maybe you really don't give a sh*t about me at all. Gee, thanks. All this holiday hate is starting to rub off.

But I don't hate Christmas. I love it. And everyone else's 'who cares' attitude is starting to get to me and making me think why should I bother making a big deal out of it. Sure it means a lot to me, but no one else seems to appreciate my efforts.

But today I found joy in the three places you should NEVER find joy at the holidays. The mall, the post office and the airport. I stopped at the mall, frankly because I had nothing else to do. I've been done with shopping for months but I drove up and there was a space right there in front. It seemed like a sign. So I went in, and while yes, everyone else was in a cranky frenzy I had a nice conversation with a man at Williams Sonoma with no holiday jeer involved at all. Score one.

Then I moved on to the post office. I wasn't there to send packages, which was probably part of the reason it wasn't miserable, but instead I was there to give cookies to my favorite of all postal clerks. She is always nice to me year 'round, and I wanted to give her something just to let her know that I appreciate her. She seemed REALLY happy to see that I wasn't handing her a package for a rush delivery+attitude, which everyone else in line seemed to have.

Finally - the airport. The big no-no of them all with Christmas being just three days out. But the joy comes in with my sis-in-law's arrival. For a month I will have a personal assistant/in house nanny AND she loves Christmas and the holidays just as much as I do.

Can I avoid the holiday crank? Since it's coming from my friends and family, probably not. But I'll do my best - I have three days. sigh. Maybe I'll just hang out at the airport.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

I'm sorry! Paul and I appreciate you!! We haven't opened up the package and are waiting for Christmas! I just hope there is nothing that can go back in the box.

I hope things look better.

Monday, December 22, 2008 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sorry to hear your peeps aren't into Christmas. Don't let them convert you though- there are plenty of us who think Christmas still rocks!

Monday, December 22, 2008 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Que Sera Sara said...

Cranky holiday goers really suck. Sorry to hear about the downers. Your 3 happiness times though show some goodness can be found, somewhere. Although I haven't found any happiness with holiday parking, and I wish people could just act like they do on any other normal parking escapade. *sigh* have a good week!

Monday, December 22, 2008 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I felt so guilty and horrible reading this. I'll admit to being a scrooge, but I try to suppress it some and I DEFINITELY thank people for any gesture of holiday goodness, no matter how small or grandiose.

I do enjoy Christmas Eve and the big caroling truck that I blogged about. I think I'd be happier if I had TIME off to get into it all. Today, I dealt w/shoppers from hell...a woman who nearly hit the car in front of her making her point she would NOT let me in and a couple who cursed me up and down as I mailed a couple of cards at the Automatic Postal Center.

I wish you the happiest Christmas though and yeah, don't let a-holes like me get you down! Ha ha!

Monday, December 22, 2008 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I swear, the thank-you note is in the mail! You're an awesome gift-giver. I'm soooo behind this year.

Monday, December 22, 2008 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Ditto on the responses. I bake and cook and whatnot, and hand stuff out as gifts. I don't get any "thankyous" or any type of acknowledgment either. Nor do people even say if they liked it or not. Meh. So I washed my hands of it and now I just do that stuff for my husband and I. At least I know we love it! :D

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:05:00 AM  
Blogger dee-ah-nah said...

Don't let all those Debbie Downers get you down. Keep spreading that Christmas cheer!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:24:00 AM  
Anonymous alibaba37 said...

Your kids will appreciate the memories you are creating. I hope you enjoy the holidays and screw the ones that want to be merry.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

That's so nice of you to give your PO clerk a gift. I love our mailman and UPS guy. Can you tell I do a lot of online shopping.

I'm sure everyone appreciates what you have given them. They're really lucky that they have you.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home