Friday, January 23, 2009

3.14

While I am mostly a cake eater - I do enjoy an occasional pie. I love lemon meringue. It's the tartness and the fluffy top, I can't get enough. I went without it my entire pregnancy (meringue = uncooked eggs) and the second I gave birth I was on the phone with my brother to BRING ME PIE, NOW.

Today is National Pie Day. Yes, there is such a thing. My kids don't really care for pie, they prefer fresh fruit, all by it's lonesome.
So how could I celebrate National Pie Day, then?? With savory pie, of course! I put together a recipe of mini individual chicken pot pies in tiny ramekins. I have an aversion to people digging out of a big serving bowl, I don't know what my problem is. But small individual portions always seem more special to me. They turned out to be just the right size for the kids.
I think they got a kick out of destroying them, really. The Kid was on a pea hunt, discarding anything green that came in his path.

What's your favorite pie? I'm sure it says something about the person, doesn't it always? I feel like I need more pie in my life. Hm. This could be the start of...something.

Mini Chicken Pot Pies recipe

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Bully said...

In honor of National Pie Day, I am making a Cow Pie.

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Apple is my pie of choice. I've been told Strawberry Apple Pie is really good, but I can't find a recipe.

I think chicken pot pies should always be individual. More crust!!!

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Honestly, I'm with your kids. I am more of a savory pie lover than sweet pies. But I do like a good apple pie a la mode, and coconut cream and key lime are my faves.

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

I'm a big fan of pie. I can't pick one favourite so I'll give you my top 4:
key lime
strawberry rhubarb
apple with crumbly cheese topping
pumpkin chiffon

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:24:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

german chocolate (which is like a chocolate pecan pie) - my birthday pie since I was a little kid.

sugar cream - which for some reason the legislature wants to make the official state pie. yeah, cause that's important

tart apple with caramel.

but I haven't had strawberry rhubarb in way too long....

I gotta make a pie. thanks.

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Cherry pie! Or peach pie!

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Hands down it's Pumpkin with no whipped cream--blech.

I also do quite love me a chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Marie said...

Not related to pies but just want to comment on the trays you use to serve food to your kiddies. I have a couple just like those. A friend gave them to me because of my weird aversion to having my food touching. He also gave me ceramic dinner plates which look like those sectioned paper plates. Love them.

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Lemon creme, hands down. My dad loves lemon meringue, but I hate it, so I would always scrape the egg-fluff off the top and eat the citrus filling.

I discovered a new favourite when I moved to Hawaii: strawberry haupia. Don't know where I'll find it on the mainland.

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:03:00 PM  
Anonymous McCrum said...

Cherry, blueberry or pumpkin, depending on the season. Oddly enough, the ones we make most often turn out to be apple.

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kt said...

I love cherry pie (anytime!), pumpkin pie over Thanksgiving time, and anything with crumb topping. Actually I could probably eat the crumb topping without the pie underneath.

But overall, I'm more of an ice cream person than a pie person. I can't really eat the pie by itself.

I'm going to try those chicken pot pies!

Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

What a great idea. I prefer cake to pie but. . .if I had to choose, I guess I would go for ice cream pie. Does that count?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home